Monday, November 1, 2010

Inventory #5: Mascaras

For the past three years, I've been on the hunt for the perfect mascara.  High and low, I keep testing until I think that I've hit a goldmine.  Not an easy task.  My current fave is the much lauded YSL, but for the arm and leg you have to pay, I think it can be better.


From left to right:

YSL Faux Cils Volume Effet (20% full):  I was amazed when the saleswoman applied this to my lashes and literally doubled the length and volume of my tiny sparse lashes.  It curls, lengthens, volumizes and dries quickly with no smudging or flaking.  A miracle, I thought, and shelled out the amount equal to a month's worth of cell phone payment.  I haven't regretted it for a day until some time this week.  Although I sense there's more product left in the tube, it seems to be running kind of dry, and with the dryness more smudging occured than it did at the beginning of the run.  Maybe if I were a more diligent mascara wearer (and loyal, not cheating on it with a dozen others!), I would have used it all up before it went dry and weird?  Who can say?  I'm not sure that I can afford to pay for this product again.  But to this day, it is the best that I've ever had.  Verdict:  Finish and lamentably toss the beautiful gold packaging.  Le sigh.

Makeup Forever Aqua Smokey Lash (70% full):  My friend A. showed up with the most amazing looking lashes one day and I had to ask what her secret was.  It was this, my friend.  I ran to Sephora immediately after and snagged one for myself greedily.  You'll note that it was in my product lineup today, and I do like it very much, but it doesn't quite look as nice on me as it does on Friend A.  It curls very nicely and is waterproof, but the volumizing and lengthening is nowhere near that of the YSL.  It does still smudge a little throughout the day despite being waterproof (I guess it's not oil proof) but it holds very well all day long and is a great every day mascara for those looking for one that actually holds curls.  Verdict:  Use until done.

Smashbox Bionic Mascara (99% full):  The world's first ionic mascara, Smashbox claims... WHATEVER THAT MEANS.  It does nothing for me.  Can't remember how I ended up with it.  I swiped it on once, was not impressed, and there it lies ignored by me.  Verdict:  Give it away.

Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara (98% full):  I think I picked this up one day during a retail therapy session gone wrong.  I say gone wrong because I ended up with a host of things I did not like and had to be returned.  This one should have gone back as well but I hung on to it with the hope of growing to respect it.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  It doesn't double your lashes at all.  I like the shape of the brush but that's about it.  I tried to give it away to my sister but she tested it and said Clinique was a rotten liar.  Verdict:  Attempt to give it away again.  Upon failure, toss.

DiorShow Unlimited Mascara (80% full):  I really liked this at first but it smudges on me towards the end of the day, which is no good.  It's high impact and Dior mascaras are lauded among pros and industry experts.  I'm not quite sure what to do with it.  I kind of like having it in my possession just because I don't have much Dior products.  Gah!  Verdict:  Undecided.

Makeup Forever Lengthening Mascara (70% full, mostly dried up):  I should really toss this as it's quite old.  I think that it's even discontinued by now.  I bought it initially because I really loved the tiny little brush.  That, I thought, could get underneath my tiny tiny lashes and lift them into view for others to admire.  Back then I didn't quite have the technique down.  Maybe it would have/could have/should have worked.  Now we'll never know.  Verdict:  To the garbage!

L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara (99% full):  I love L'Oreal.  Among all drugstore brands, L'Oreal is my fave.  This one works pretty well, except that I don't think the bristles quite work with the sparseness of my lashes.  I don't have enough fringe for the defining brush to sweep them so far apart from one another.  Otherwise, it's a good mascara.  There's impact there.  Verdict:  Give it away to someone more genetically blessed.  Unfair.

Benefit BadGal Mascara in Blue (95% full):  The claim is that it brightens your eyes.  Does it?  I don't know.  It's not very distinguishable from my black lashes.  I don't think it's a terrible mascara or anything, but just does not have the impact that I hoped for.  It's a sample and not worth the space it occupies in my stash.  Verdict:  Out it goes!

Clinique High Lengths Mascara (100% full):  My sister donated this to me yesterday.  I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but I'm not hopeful about its performance. Verdict:  To be tested and given away if not up to par.

Lancome Hypnose Custom-Wear Volume Mascara (98% full):  This is an okay mascara but because of the YSL and MUFE Smokey Lash, I completely forgot that I had it.  Verdict:  Put into rotation until done.

Imju Fiberwig Tiny Sniper (94% full):  Man, when they said tiny, they really meant it.  Usually, the smaller the brush, the better I like it.  This one is almost impossible to maneuver because it is so tiny.  It's obviously for the pesky inner, outer and bottom lashes, but I just did not have much luck with it.  Before I give up on it, I'm going to give it another shot RIGHT NOW.  Verdict:  Ugh, it's so irritating.  Giving it away.

L'Oreal Double Extend Mascara (99% full):  I saw someone on YouTube raving about it, so I screwed up my courage once more and got it on sale at the drugstore.  It's an attractive idea, to have the primer at one end. However, I don't know if it was at the drugstore for way too long, but the primer was pretty dry and ineffective.  It left me with just the mascara option, which was fine, but I really wanted the primer to have an impact.  In my case, it was better in concept than in execution.  Verdict:  Using up the mascara side with my other primers and then tossing.

L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes (95% full):  I was so curious about this that I knew I should have held off but couldn't help myself when it was on sale!  This works pretty darn well and I like both the primer and the mascara.  I also love that you don't need a remover at the end of the day.  It will just glide off nicely with some warm water.  Definitely hanging on to this one.  Verdict:  Finishing it after the YSL and MUFE.

Clinique Lash Building Primer (99% full):  This is actually my second full size purchase of this product.  Really, I think that any primer will help my puny lashes.  But I bought it before I realized Makeup Forever also had a lash primer... Verdict:  Finish it after I finish the MUFE Primer.

Makeup Forever Lash Fibers (50% full):  I think what differentiates this from the Clinique primer is the brush.  The formula also seems creamier at first and will wrap the lashes very visibly.  The Clinique looks almost invisible in comparison.  But in the end, while both do boost the look of my lashes, neither outweighs the other as better because my lashes are so darn tiny!!!  Verdict:  Finish.

Wow, that's a long one.  But I forgot to include in the picture the other five mascaras.  Since they're new and haven't been tested, I'll just list them quickly:
  • Clinique High Impact Mascara
  • CoverGirl Lash Blash Volume (Waterproof)
  • Too Faced Lash Injection Pinpoint
  • Clarins Wonder Length Mascara
  • Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes (Waterproof; Water Turquoise) -- Tested it at Sephora; currently sold at 50% of its regular price!!!
Can't wait to bust them out of the boxes and try them!  But I'll refrain until I've finished the ones I've already begun and tossed out the remains as stated above.


Next inventory:  blushes.

6 comments:

  1. i use probably the cheapest (cause, thanks to Mother Nature, at least in one area, I don't need much) maybelline colossal volume something.. lol maybe she's born with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky!! Unfortunately I'm born to the race that are never born with it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mascaras are a thing I love!
    I would recommend Maybelline's Falsies Mascara and Max Factor Masterpiece Max.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendations. It'll be a while until I pick up a new mascara but I'll def. check out Falsies. Unfortunately, Max Factor is no longer sold in Canada so I can't get ahold of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love CLinique Lash DOubling mascara, I always end up with the minis fromt he free gifts though so I just toss it in my purse makeup bag...My favorite mascara right now is Maybelline Falsies. I'm actually becoming quite a fan of Maybelline in general which is amazing because I am typically a huge makeup snob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! I've realized since posting this that different things suit different people. We all have different length, density and texture of lashes. No one mascara is going to satisfy everyone. The Clinique Lash Doubling does no work for me at all but I'm glad you enjoy it! I, too, was a huge makeup snob, but going back to school has made me look at some less expensive options and drugstore makeup are definitely stepping up their game now!

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.