Saturday, January 8, 2011

Inventory #13: Toners

This is a short one as I don't have too many toners.

Marcelle Hydra-C Radiance Tonifying Lotion


I'll give you non-Canadians a closer look at the description since the Marcelle website doesn't feature this toner for some reason.


I really liked this toner, especially after exfoliation or a peel.  I suspect the reason this bottle went so fast is my sister dipped into it as well.  Since I've tried both the cleanser and the toner in this line and both seem pretty effective, now I'm really interested in its moisturizers.  But don't worry, I'll hold off on that until I finish up the current moisturizers.  :) 

Caudalie Grape Water - I use this only during the hottest days of summer when it feels like my super oily face cannot accept even a drop of moisturizer.  This is supposed to be made with 100% grape water and boosts moisture.  It feels refreshing when you mist it over the face, especially if you keep it in the fridge overnight.  I think this container is nearly finished and am not sure if I'll repurchase.  It's one of those  does-no-harm/unsure-if-effective items that simply makes one feel nice and pampered. 

DDF Glycolic 10% Toning Complex - I got this along with the DDF Brightening Cleanser way back when, and I guess I abandoned it at some point when I needed something more soothing on my face.  I'll give this one a dedicated try in the near future.


Nivea Visage Refreshing Toner - Because of my oily skin, I tend to gravitate towards products marketed as "refreshing" or "purifying", and this is another example.  I picked this up after the realization that my face really likes drugstore products.  So far so good - nothing to rave or complain about.  I do like the cheap price tag.


And, of course, I've used this Clinique Acne Solutions toner in the past when I experienced severe breakouts.


I like to use toner to make sure that my makeup is completely removed and also to erase the trace of cleansers from my face before moisturizing.  I never tone in the morning, though, and on a lazy night, this is the step that I skip the most.

Is toner a must-have step in your daily skincare routine?

10 comments:

  1. I can't really add anything to this post because I don't use a toner. I've tried them out in the past, but they never seemed to do anything for my skin. I used to have an astringent that I used pretty regularly though, but sadly it was discontinued, and I never found one to replace it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't bother with toners if I don't wear foundation, but I do on most days. Just out of curiosity, what was your astringent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I never wear foundation so maybe that's my issue. The astringent was called Triple Clean from Noxzema; I'd used it since high school and loved it because it made my skin feel really clean and didn't leave any filmy residue. It was dicontinued and replaced with some pre-soaked pads of the same name; but I tried them out, and the astringent was definitely reformulated. They smelled terrible and left a film on my skin. They got tossed, and Noxzema got an email from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I never got into Noxzema. I vaguely recall using their cleanser once upon a time in high school, but I had no idea what I was doing back then! If you have good skin and don't see the need for it, definitely skip toner. Just another hassle but a necessary one for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed toners dry out my skin, that's why I use them rarely... And I should definitely find a more suitable one for my skin. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't talk about them, but there are "softening" or "moisturizing" toners out there, as you must be aware of. Toners seem to be the most mysterious of all the beauty products, being so hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a gentle toner from Avene, it's for normal to dry skin... Still my skin was all itchy and uncomfortable... I paid it forward to my sister.
    True! and yes, I usually miss ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been curious about Avene for a while! That's so weird! Well, sisters sure come in handy sometimes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Reductionista, It is with much regret I have to inform you that the Marcelle Hydra-C Tonifying Lotion has been discontinued. I suggest you keep it "oil free, alcohol free and moisturizing" with the Essentials Tonifying Lotion for normal to dry skin.
    -Isabel, marcelle.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ack! I noticed it was off the shelves as well. Thanks for the replacement suggestion, Isabel!

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.