Sunday, January 9, 2011

Inventory #14: Face Moisturizers

I decided to sneak in another inventory before I buckle down for a massive reading session tonight.  I was under the impression that I had many more moisturizers but this isn't so bad.  Four full size moisturizers addressing different skincare needs plus two samples.

[Side note: Sorry for the poor lighting in these pics!]


B. Kamins Matte Moisturizer with SPF 15 - I didn't even buy this; Sephora gave it to me as a skincare challenge reward and I was happy to receive a matte moisturizer with SPF 15 since I have oily skin.  I tried it once just to make sure it doesn't irritate my skin and it performed well.  But I haven't used it since that day because I'm working through the other products first.  I'll probably start using this regularly in late spring/early summer.

Just as an aside, I was a little miffed at Sephora for passing out products they were phasing out as "rewards" for their loyal customers.  You can't find this product at Sephora anymore but click on the link above to see the full description of the product at the B. Kamins website.  Recommended for oily/acne-prone skin.


Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15 - This is my winter morning staple.  During warmer seasons it's too heavy, but for the cold drying winter days, this is just right if I use a light application.  Using too much at once seems to clog my pores, resulting in breakouts.  Typically I look for some SPF in my morning moisturizer because layering sunscreen, moisturizer, primer and foundation is (a) way too much work, and (b) my poor sensitive face will probably explode if I wear so many products all at once.  I'm about halfway or two-thirds through this bottle.

Aveda Outer Peace Acne Relief Lotion - I used every single product in this Outer Peace line except for the Cooling Mask.  This Outer Peace line saved my life in the summer.  It does a great job of fighting acne without stripping the skin dry like many other products do.  Aveda is also known for using natural ingredients.  It's pretty pricey, though.  While I'll skid by with cheaper products when my skin is doing okay, I'm willing to go to further lengths when my skin starts acting up.  This entire line is well worth it.

Korres Quercetin & Oak Antiageing Antiwrinkle Day Cream SPF 10 (sample size) - You know what?  This product is all right.  The texture feels weighty and heavier than what I'm normally used to, but my face felt plump and moisturized after I patted it lightly into the skin.  But it feels rather heavy for a day moisturizer so I've used it at night even though it contains SPF which can be irritating to the skin.  I won't buy the full size, but I think it should be fine for the normal/combination skin types out there.

Dermalogica Clean Start Welcome Matte SPF 15 - I got this sample along with the matching cleanser and face mist but those are long gone.  I really like this one and was using it happily when the cold season hit and I had to shelve it for the Cetaphil instead.  I would recommend the entire line for oily/acne-prone skin types.  I think it's marketed for adolescents and teens (assuming that the adults are using the original Dermalogica products) but I had a good experience with this line and might think about getting the full size products this summer to ward off the breakouts.  The samples are from Sephora but the line is not listed on their website.  I have spotted it at certain Sephora locations, though, as well as at random spas and skincare boutiques.  (Basically, wherever Dermalogica is sold.)

Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream - I've raved about this several times in the past.  For such a cheap product, it's one of the most effective moisturizers my face has ever had the pleasure of benefiting from.  It's light, smells wonderfully fresh, and actually hydrates my face without irritating it or making it feel heavy and greasy.  Right now I use it as a night cream, but it's great for all times of the day and all year-round.


Here's a look at the interior.


One conclusion I'm drawing from these skincare inventories is that I'm much more high-maintenance when it comes to makeup rather than skincare.  It worked out that way simply because my skin reacts badly to expensive skincare products for some reason.  (Remember how I had to return the entire line of Ole Henriksen products to Sephora?)  Well, lucky me - I get to save some money in this area.  However, I am concerned about the lack of anti-aging products in my skincare routine, but we'll discuss that in depth in the next inventory re: skincare treatments.

So, what are your daily moisturizers or night creams?  Have you found one that is truly effective for you?  What are your thoughts on expensive skincare lines versus drugstore brands?

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm my last breakout (before Christmas) was catastrophic and I decided to cut down on ALL products... I use the same cream (Olive hydro care from Kozmetika Afrodita - you don't know the company, it's from my region and they use natural ingridients - that's why I like them) as my day and night cream after washing my face with Garnier's pure active exfobrusher. And this actually worked like a charm, imagine my surprise!
    I should look up this Aveda outer peace lotion, I agree with you...When my face is messed up I would pay more to calm it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm curious about your Olive cream! And sometimes simplifying the routine seems to be enough and the skin stops freaking out. But at other times, I think the breakouts are purely hormonal and products can't do anything about it. If I find a good routine that works, I'm just going to stick to it from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me officially intrigued by the Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue Gel Cream. I'm a Bare Minerals or Aveda moisturizer gal... when I remember (bad, I know!). But, the concept of a gel at night sounds really delightful. I may have to give it a go. I think you're onto something with the cheaper (simpler ingredient lists I would presume) the better for your skin observation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must not need moisturizer, otherwise you'd remember it better! lol

    My sister with normal/dry winter skin is giving it a test drive, so we'll see how suitable it can be for the non-oily peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh ;D http://www.kozmetika-afrodita.com/en/home-care/nega-obraza/olive/olive-moisturising-day-cream.php here it is! I've had bad experience with Vichy, Nuxe, Eucerin..they dried my skin crazy.
    I couldn't agree more, sometimes hormones just go wild, and there's nothing you can do about it (sadly)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my link is no good, sorry :/
    (copy/paste):
    With its precious active ingredients of olive-leaf extract, moisturising complex and allantoin, it helps improve skin firmness and elasticity and slows down premature signs of ageing. Built-in UVB filter provides extra protection from external harmful influences. The cream offers a natural solution for fresh, young-looking skin and represents a source of well being. rather poetic description ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally picked up that garnier moisture gel stuff today, I can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am terrible, I keep trying too many products at the same time and I never know which ones I like most! LOL
    Lucky you that you can purchase cheaper skincare products! I rarely purchase skincare at the drugstore, as you can´t test them and a lot of products have too much fragrance.

    Confessions of a Beautyholic

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Niki - Lol, thanks anyway! Sounds lovely. I hope to travel and pick up strange and wonderful products from all over the world some day. ;D

    @Justine - Do let me know how it turns out for you!

    @Beauty Addict - Oooh, I want to see what your beauty stash looks like! Yes, I'm "lucky" that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want the garnier one. I didn't like Neutrogena's version of this (hydroboost)

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.