Saturday, April 23, 2011

Nail Polish: Dior Underground

Please pardon the awful pictures. I'm not sure if you can tell the difference from my usual pics which aren't that great to begin with, but I just could not for the life of me capture what I thought was the true colour of Underground. Frustrating!


Unless you're in direct sunlight or some other type of brilliant lighting, Underground comes across as an almost black brown. I found that the complexity of the shade is almost lost once applied on the nails. I thought I might like it better than Blue Label but it was not the case.

with flash

As you can see in the pic with the flash, there's a purple-plum-taupe dimension to the shade that just does not translate under regular lighting in person.

This looks more accurate. (Freshly applied manicure.)

As you can see in this second pic, it looks more like a very dark chocolate brown, which doesn't look as special as the first pic. I do love a nice dark brown but Underground was purchased with the expectation of being a complex and interesting shade. It is but it doesn't always look like it.

However, again as stated in the other Dior posts, the polish formula is excellent and it went on smoothly without trouble in two medium coats. The lasting power was also formidable. Combined with a Sally Hansen base coat and the Seche Vite top coat, this mani lasted an entire week with minimal wear and tear.

One week later!

Granted this is a pic of my left hand and I'm a righty, so the right hand did have some chips, but those chips only occurred after I spent an entire day in the kitchen preparing a feast for my mom's birthday dinner. I was really impressed by how well this manicure lasted. I know some people have had issues with Seche Vite chipping quickly, but as far as I can tell, it dries down super quickly and keeps the manicure fresh for a very long time.

Final verdict on Underground: Worth wearing to a picnic. Not worth wearing to the movie theatre.

12 comments:

  1. Hahaha-worth wearing to a picnic-you crack me up! I like the Blue Label you showed better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tracy! Thanks for reading. I'm more partial to blue in the first place so it wasn't all that surprising. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm.....I bought the entire collection and still haven't tried them out yet; now I'm wondering if I wasn't too hasty! I love a good brown polish too and there's few brands out there than can top Dior's outstanding formula. I'll be giving these a whirl soon -- keeping my fingers crossed that I won't be disappointed! Thanks for the excellent swatches & post! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you bought the whole collection? I'm so jealous! I haven't had a chance to go out searching for Nirvana, which is the one I really wanted, but I certainly understand the temptation to buy entire collections in one shot.

    I think my expectation for this polish was quite high, but it's still a very good one. But what works for one person is different for another, so I hope you review these soon and let me know how they work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really like this color. A nice brown polish shade is a bit tricky to find, at least I think it is, and if this one lasted a week on your nails, that's really good!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Christina. I agree, it is a great polish. I know the post kind of comes across as if I don't like it, but I do. :) (Maybe an edit is in order... hmm.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate when complexity in the bottle gets lost on the nail! I like the look of it in the bottle, but agree that it doesn't seem to have the same effect applied. It almost looks like a slightly lighter Lincoln Park After Dark to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I just could not get the pics right. But I don't think it's just me. Dior calls this "A mysterious brown. An enigmatic, urban universe." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely shade! Looks gorgeous in the first pic, shame the plum doesn't show under regular lighting. It still looks pretty though x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Nat! I think you can see it if you know to look for it, but at first glance to the non-nail polish addicts out there, they'll probably just see a really dark brown.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huge lover of Dior nail polish, the newly designed brush is brillant in my opinion. I was on the fence with Underground, you are making me want this again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I had to do it again, I might pass on this one. But I love Dior, too, so a part of me wants everything in the collection. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.