Saturday, June 25, 2011

Progress! My first empties post.

As recounted numerously on this blog from the start - and less consistently from time to time since - I've been working on reducing the amount of beauty products from my stash. Now I finally have some finished products to talk about! I used to just throw away empty packages until the realization of such things as the "empties posts." Really, I should be doing a lot more of that than reviews of new products. But it seriously takes me forever to finish anything, so I'm very proud of this line up of "empties" today.

This particular one is mammoth. I have been working through this giant pot of St. Ives Apricot Scrub since the beginning of time. When I eventually realized that I could use it for basically the entire body as opposed to just the face, this baby finally started to dwindle. I might have screamed for joy when I scraped up the last little bit that was left and joyfully used it to scrub my feet in the shower.


The next product was mentioned recently in my anti-acne products post. Since then I've been using it twice a day every day and finished it in record time. Sure, it was travel size, but I even have trouble finishing those because there are so many other things going simultaneously in the lineup. It's the DDF Blemish Foaming Cleanser. I really liked it and would buy the full size except that DDF is rather pricey and I do have a few other anti-acne cleansers in my stash at the moment. Since I've stopped using it, I've grown a few new zits, so it seems crucial that I use an anti-acne cleanser, be it this or something else. Anyway, I definitely recommend this to those struggling with acne.


I guess shampoos and conditioners are things that are always being finished, but again, it's been a while since I actually finished a set since I was rotating between so many different types. The weird geeky anal part of me is super happy that the matching shampoo and conditioner were finished at the same time. I've talked about these in my shampoo and conditioner inventories. My sister and I both suffered from dry scalp in the winter and thought Head & Shoulders might help. If it did, it was minimal. Strangely, though, I don't hate H&S. I don't really want to buy it again, but it wasn't bad on my normal hair.


Facial wipes are also things that I consistently finish. I get really eager to finish them up especially when there are only a few left in a package because I don't want them to dry out. The Marcelle Eye Make-up Remover Cloths are not bad but not super great. They're good because they don't irritate your eyes, but I feel like these cloths could use an extra douse of moisture to really work more effectively and faster at removing stubborn eye makeup. You have to rest these over your eyes for a few minutes, just like you would with a regular makeup remover on cotton pads. In which case, I prefer the regular makeup remover + cotton instead of this thing. However, this is awesome for traveling or makeup on the go. I'm not going to buy it again unless I need it specifically for travel.


Balea 3 in 1 Cleansing Cloths are something I've been using for a while. One, it's the cheapest wipes in Shoppers Drug Mart (Balea is the replacement brand for the Shoppers generic Life brand), and two, these are surprisingly good quality cleansing cloths. The wetness level is perfect, it takes makeup off very well (though I still use toner after to really make sure), and it's not drying or harsh on the face. I didn't bother with a moisturizer sometimes and never had any issues (but I have oily skin and don't need too much moisturizing in the first place). It even works well to take off eye makeup without irritation. But ever since I discovered The Body Shop Tea Tree Cleansing Wipes, I've been using these Balea wipes to remove the initial layer of makeup while saving the more costly Tea Tree wipes for the second round of wiping/cleansing. I like that two-tier system, though it sounds awfully high maintenance for what's supposed to be an easy and quick emergency solution. I'll keep using Balea until something better comes along.


The last is actually makeup! Technically I didn't "finish" it since the tube seemed to never end, but it's a mascara - it was time to let it go. I used it for much longer than I should have because I liked it so much. Some people really hate tubing mascara but I love it because it's completely budge/smudge-proof and weirdly seemed to get better as time went on. The only other mascara that stayed so well on my puny straight lashes was Imju Fiberwig which is now gonzo. L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes is also a much cheaper alternative to my beloved YSL Faux Cils. Some time ago I swore that I'd never cheat on YSL again, but now I'm thinking of going back to this L'Oreal. It's kind of expensive for a drugstore mascara, but it's pennies compared to YSL.


Man, it feels good to get rid of things. I have a handful of other things that are nearing the end and will continue to diligently work through them for the next empties post. How are you guys doing with finishing up products and what were some good stuff you decided to repurchase?

16 comments:

  1. Good Job! I have been using the Balea wipes too now. I bought them when they were on sale last month and am quite happy with them:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!! I know just how you feel. I was so happy that I'd finished some products last week, as well. My first in ages! I have tried Project 10 Pan twice and failed miserably, so I'll just maintain the goal of trying to finish at least one product every month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, I love it when I see my containers empty out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yey for empties! I love these posts (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I ALWAYS run out of conditioner first, and then I'm left with these random, one-third full bottles of shampoo all over the place. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I love empties posts! It a glorious feeling when I can brag about stuff I've finished rather than purchased!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Christine - Did you buy the box of 3 packages for $5.99 or something like that? It's such good value when on sale!

    @Zuzu - You're very brave for even attempting a P10P. 1 per month sounds very reasonable! Good luck!

    @Rae - Right?? Sometimes I agonize myself by wondering whether to cut into the packaging and getting out the last dime-sized drop... but most of the time I'm too lazy for that.

    @Gaby - Thanks, me too! :)

    @Dee - I have the opposite problem! I'm going to buy shampoos only from now on to try to finish up those old conditioners.

    @Ashley - Yes, such a rare personal moment of triumph MUST be bragged about! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Christine - Oops, I meant $9.99. The single package goes on sale for $5.99.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love empties posts! You do get a sense of satisfaction that you are actually getting your moneys worth out of the products x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, it's such a good feeling when you finish something!!! I totally am with you there, great job! I'm happy for you, it's very satisfying...and then you can feel better when you buy something new! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great empties! I am kinda really into the empties posts.. It is nice to see the products get used and then you can get new stuff :)
    I've been wanting to try the Balea cloths and since you are liking them I think I will give them a try next time I need them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Claire - Your empties posts are always so inspiring! I'm determined to get rid of a lot of stuff this summer. :)

    @Latoya - It's weird but I don't even want to buy new stuff lately! (Though I'm sure now that I said it, tomorrow I'll be sorely tempted by something or another!)

    @TEA - I think Balea actually has a few different types of cloths. I haven't tried the others but I really like this 3-in-1 one. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on all the empties! I haven't finished anything in a while because I rotate between too many different products. I really need to work at using some of them up! The L'Oreal mascara you mentioned sounds like good stuff. I love Faux Cils too so I'll definitely be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Nat! The thing with the L'Oreal is you can't build multiple coats as you could with Faux Cils but I'm pretty minimal on the eyes anyway so it worked out for me. Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for finishing things! I too love getting to the end of a shampoo & conditioner at the same time but that NEVER EVER happens! I didn't know Balea was the new Life brand, interesting. I haven't tried that DDF cleanser but it sounds fabulous & worth a try. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Tracy! I noticed the shampoo/conditioner levels go way off when there's a male in the house who only uses the shampoo and not the conditioner. It seriously irks me! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.