Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tagged again! Versatile Beauty Blog Award

(Sorry for the seemingly endless parade of self-promotion! Regular beauty blogging to resume after this.)

Earlier this month, I was honoured to be awarded my first Versatile Blogger Award by the lovely Zuzu's Petals of Everyday Beauty. Since then, I was tagged for the same award by the amazing Product Doctor Beauty Blog and have decided to combine the two nominations to give you one post instead of bombarding you with facts about me that you may or may not be interested in. Before I go on, please make sure to check out the two lovely ladies who tagged me - their blogs are full of gorgeous products and high-quality reviews!


The rules:
  • Worship at the feet (or makeup vanity) of the person who nominated you and link back to her (or his) blog in your post. 
  • Share 7 facts about yourself that only your ferret knows.
  • Pass the award on to 15 other bloggers.
  • Contact your nominees and let them know you've tagged them.
Here goes!
  1. I don't own a ferret but I once had a crush on a boy who did. He and his family moved to another city mid-crush, so I was devastated! Ahahahahaha... 14 was a rough year.
  2. I (not so) secretly wish that I were a superhero or an action hero. There's a reason I love Nikita so. She's such a BAMF. I also need to watch the new X-Men movie but my 20/30-something girlfriends are hardly the movie's target demo. Is it weird if I go alone? Or should I make a boy watch it twice?
  3. I once took fencing lessons. Loved the fencing, hated the instructors and the 10 year-olds who were more advanced than I was.
  4. I don't know how to swim. I was older when the lessons began and I had already developed a healthy fear of drowning. I'll face this fear some time in the near future... maybe next summer.
  5. I don't have a problem killing insects with my bare hands. Gross? Maybe. I think it'd be grosser to let them get away and end up with them crawling over your face during the night.
  6. Sometimes I think life is all about context. That's probably why I enjoy history and biographies.
  7. I wish I could have hung out with Henry James and Edith Wharton. Or at least sit in on one cocktail party eavesdropping on their conversation. Henry would take 3 hours to tell a story while Edith would roll her eyes and sum it up in 5 minutes.
I now pass this award on to the following fellow bloggers:
  1.  A Vain Woman - Cecilia is not really vain, but be warned: looking at her blog will seriously create massive lemmings you may or may not be able to afford. I'm always in awe of her gorgeous photos and come away massively tempted. 
  2. Broke in the City - Amy chronicles budget-friendly fashionable life in the great city of San Francisco. It's more fashion-focused than beauty, but her recent post on wonderous drugstore products definitely makes her a versatile blogger!
  3. Eyelining Obsessions - Something about the way Claire writes makes me want to sit down and have a drink with her while discussing eyelining obsessions and such things. Her reviews are always clear, straight forward and extremely honest.
  4. et tu and you - I'm new to Meredith's blog, but she writes with such flair on fashion and beauty experiences as well as some personal experiences like maintaining composure and perspective during frustrating work moments.
  5. Glitter Geek - Arianne is a fellow Torontonian with a super pro-style blog. She writes effortlessly on anything from budget lipsticks to luxe bronzers. Her sense of fun always comes through in her posts. Check her out if you haven't already!
  6. Gothan Polish - Amy's nail polish cartoons are so much fun! That's a mighty whimsical and creative mind at work there. I always get a good chuckle as well as useful information from her blog.
  7. Lipstick Rules - Another fellow Torontonian, Michelle is a blogging veteran in her own right and hardly needs me to promote her, but I want to recognize her thoughtful posts which always generate interesting discussions and a lot of good, sage advice.
  8. My best beauty buys - I love reading Tracy D's posts because I feel like she's always chatting directly to me personally over a cup of tea or coffee and our "chat" sessions are never boring! It's like chatting about makeup with your BFF.
  9. naturalNchicmakeup - Kristie's blog is a showcase of gorgeousness. Her pictures are amazing as are her reviews and choice of products. It inspires me to a new level of excellence!
  10. Polish Police - I'm new to Pam's blog and astounded I haven't come across PP earlier. She has the latest buzz on the new nail polishes in store for the eager public. Also, her stand against blog thieves is a must read for every blogger. 
  11. Productrater! - Justine is an energetic blogger and a fellow Torontonian who is resourceful and creative when it comes to obtaining difficult-to-get products. Her blog is a wealth of information!
  12. Raspberry Rouge - Nat is a gorgeous UK blogger with flawless taste in makeup and one of the most beautiful blog designs. Reading her blog is always a joy.
  13. Red Lip Gloss - Many of Christina's posts had me nodding in vehement agreement or just plain impressed with her resourcefulness. Her "DIY Friday" series is a must read!
  14. Stupid Nail Polish Names - I stumbled across this one day and had a blast reading and laughing simultaneously. As you can tell by the blog name, good times can be expected. I wish Panderbear would update more frequently.
  15. Visionary Beauty - I don't know much about the blogger but I do love to visit this blog now and then to drool over high-end products I don't have the budget or nerve to purchase. If you like to drool over such things, this is a good blog to visit.
I find it amazing that I'm able to name 15 blogs that don't overlap with other great blogs that I've mentioned in the past. One of the things that surprised me most about blogging is how warm and open the online community is and how quickly beautiful friendships can build just from talking about seemingly inane things like the right kind of hairspray or foot powder. I would like to take this moment to thank everyone who takes the time to read my posts and have encouraged me by leaving comments or even sending emails in support. This blog was begun out of boredom on a whim, but lately I feel like it's turned into something much more special. It's a magical process that takes the participation of both the blogger and the readers. Amazing.

Thanks again to Zuzu and Product Doctor for this award!

12 comments:

  1. Liz, congratulations on a well deserved award. I love reading your blog and reviews as well. Thank you for such a kind comment and for sharing with us some info about yourself. I chuckled and aww-ed at the ferret boy :) Did you ever get yourself a ferret at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go see the X-Men movie with you. I am a geek, therefore anything comic related is up my alley.
    And where the heck are you sleeping girl?

    CONGRATS on the award!!! I love you and your blog. :) I feel like we've been friends forever even though we've never actually met! Someday maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the award :D
    I kill certain bugs/flies with my bare hand too. I call my technique the "ninja clap" cause the bug doesn't even see it coming. For spiders & centipedes, I use slippers. I can't stand the creepy crawlies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I love ferrets! I used to have one I named Ferrett Bueller.

    Love the Henry James/Edith Wharton comparison. I so agree. I haven't read James since college, though I tried (and gave up) reading The Wings of the Dove a couple years ago. I know it's a great book, but I just wanted James to get to the point. On the other hand, I'll easily gobble up a Wharton book in a day or so. In fact, I re-read House of Mirth every 5 years or so--especially now that I can picture Gillian Anderson in the role, which was good casting.

    I have to admit I was hooked on your blog after reading a post that described how your leg fell into the gap and you landed bottoms up on the subway floor with your purple undercrackers flashing the world while matching your Starbucks travel cup ... which, of course, you did not drop because you freaking love coffee. I laughed out loud. It was almost as much fun as being there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw thank you m'dear! What a lovely thing to say :-) And congrats to you for getting the award x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the award, Liz! Thank you for passing it on and for the very kind comments :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kristie - Ha, nope! I don't think I like ferrets. I just liked the owner. ;)

    @Tracy - Dammit, I wish you lived here! Any chance your hubby is willing to relocate?

    @Ashley - Love the ninja clap! Also like the ninja fist (you catch one in the air in your fist and squeeze). I'm okay with spiders but the centipedes do require a tool.

    @Zuzu - I think you told my story better than I did! ;) And I'm glad we have something in common. The House of Mirth is one of my fave books. Henry James's texts grew denser as his career progressed, so props to you for trying! Someday I'll work through his later novels.

    @Claire - Thank you and you're welcome! :)

    @Nat - Thank you and you're welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz!!! Congrats on the award lady; you definitely deserve it. And a big thanks for the tag. I'll get to work immediately on my 7 "secrets"...ha

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Liz! Well deserved! I absolutely love reading your blog and your witty way of phrasing things, not to mention your detailed and in-depth reviews. The best part of you winning these awards? We get to learn a little bit about what makes you tick and adds that much more colour to the picture that is Liz! I can't wait to hear about your future 'adventures'....! (PS: have you considered writing a book, cause I'd buy a copy for sure!) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz you are just the sweetest, such nice things you said..thank you so much! Oh and loved the facts...such a fancy girl, who takes fencing? :) And the conversation you provoked between Mr. J and me with BAMF, haha...you have no idea. But I think we finally got it. Thanks pretty girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Christina - I look forward to reading it!

    @Eugenia - As always, you are too kind! I like to express myself via writing and maybe some day when I'm wise enough and have honed my skills some more, a book might not be just a pipe dream. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement!

    @Tracy D - I only speak the truth. :) Fencing was on a whim, much like most of my activities, including blogging! Hmm... would have loved to have been eavesdropping on your conversation, too! I'm not into acronyms much but BAMF is a good one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,
    Congratulations on the award. I wish I had the nerve to squish insects, sadly I tend to just run away screaming!
    Thanks very much for the mention :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.