Saturday, July 16, 2011

Nail Polish: Sephora by OPI "Havana Dreams"

Is it OPI for Sephora or Sephora by OPI? I can never get it straight. Anyway.

I went to the beach a few weeks ago and wanted a beachy manicure to match the sunny sky. I had bought Havana Dreams towards the end of winter, hoping to debut it for spring but didn't get around to it until recently. I had great expectations, since I have never disliked a Sephora by OPI/OPI for Sephora polish.


It's a pretty pastel/powder blue and I had eyed it for maybe over a year. I have no problems buying dark and murky colours but for some reason I always hesitate before buying a light shade.


Well, unfortunately I wish that I hadn't bought it after all. It took three very streaky coats to achieve this:


I found it more difficult than usual to manipulate the brush and dole out even strokes. I think it could have used a fourth coat to "even things out" but I was done with this crappy polish by the second streaky coat. I'm putting Havana Dreams in the swap/sale pile and go on dreaming about Havana without it. I'll admit that the colour is very pretty and cheerful, but I'm sure there are superior blue polishes out there that won't make my jaws clench in frustration during application.

Have you encountered a bad nail polish lately? What was it? Let's all stay clear of crap formulas together.

[MAJOR EDIT: I now believe it was the intense heat wave that affected the nail polish. A re-try is in order. Consider this post a first draft.] 

[2nd EDIT - June 2013: Nope, it's crap.] 

12 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with Revlon Blue Lagoon. Maybe all light blue polishes are crappy? Too bad, it's a great colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chanel Riva was similarly bad, though not as bad as Havana Dreams. But I hear Essie's Blue and Borrowed is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you what girl, I know what you mean. Some polishes are just application challenged. I have had bad luck with some pastel colors. I thought my new Nars Vestale was going to be that way, but it's ok so far. And Lippmann hasn't disappointed yet. OPI Mod about you and I are not friends. It's a challenge on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, D...! Yeah, most pastels are crap but the newer offerings seem to be getting with the program and have better coverage and formulation. I guess that's why I hesitate so much when it comes to lighter shades. So far, 4/10 nail polishes in my swap pile are pastels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also had the same issues with Havana Dream! Sad, because it is such a pretty blue, but it's just too much trouble *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is. But I'm sure we'll see a better version of this at some point in the future. The void in quality powder blue polishes cannot go ignored for long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is usually a problem with very light pastel shades. The streaks are very noticeable. :(

    I quit on buying light shades, I just don't know how to put it right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I'll go out on a limb here and say the opposite of everyone else: I actually not only really liked Havana Dreams and Riva, but had had zero application issues with both polishes. Were my bottles different? I don't think so. Did I do anything different? Who knows....all I know is that they both worked out fine which puzzled me as everything I read about these two was NOT complimentary. Borrowed & Blue is amazing, both the shade and the formula....I highly recommend it. Don't give up on this one yet, Liz; maybe trying a different base/top coat, or waiting a bit longer between coats may just be all you need! It looks so pretty against your skin tone!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a shame it was difficult to apply and ended up streaky, it's a really pretty colour and it looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do find pastel colors harder to work with too for some reason...but not all should be banished from the polish wardrobe :) That said, I can't think of any off the top of my head that have wowed me in terms of formulation lol. CG's Sea Spray wasn't too bad, but like all pastels required patience. Sorry it didn't work out though, it is a fun summer shade!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm... I just tried putting Absolutely Shore on my toes and found that it was kind of gloppy and streaky, which didn't happen to me the first time. Then it hit me: Do you think it's the heat affecting the polish??? (In which case, EGADS!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.