Sunday, January 22, 2012

Progress! My 10th empties post and 2011 total.

It has been a month and a half since my last empties post. I think the delay is on account of two things: holiday madness (during which I gained a whole lot of new things to play with and wasn't at home to use up the old stuff) and the fact that I finished so many jumbo-sized items last time, that this round was bound to happen slower than usual.


First, these aren't empties but things I gave away to my sisters. The below are some items I took to the Philippines and left behind. I don't need these sun protection products for the next 4-5 months and my sister needs them while living and travelling in Southeast Asia.


I also left her with the half-finished bottle of Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. I know people say it gets goopy and weird halfway through, but I actually found mine to be in good working order. I'm going to bet that my sister isn't going to use it at all, or maybe just once or twice at most. But I didn't feel like wrapping up and lugging back half-finished bottles.


May she have better luck with the Shiseido sunscreen which I am guessing is responsible for the breakouts last summer. She happens to be a fan of Shiseido and we have completely different skin types, so hopefully no breakouts for her.


Once I came home, I gave my other sister the Pure Beauty Exfoliating Face Scrub which annoys the heck out of me with its super ultra fine buffing beads. I also gave her the unused Dior Serum de Rouge in #470 that came in the Dior Tailleur Bar set. I like the Serum de Rouge formula, but the shade is way too pink for my liking. It's perfect for my fairer-skinned baby sis, though!


And now, the actual empties! The first three got finished in Boracay. God, I wish I was back there right now.


Aveeno Sunscreen Lotion SPF 55 - Briefly mentioned here. I've decided that I really like this sunscreen lotion. I prefer lotion to sprays and this Aveeno formula is creamy and absorbs nicely into the skin without having to rub too much. I experienced zero irritation and absolutely no burns while chilling a few degrees close to the equator. This may become my go-to drugstore sunscreen from now on.

L'Occitane Lait de Roses Body Milk (sample) - The texture is runny, since it's a "milk", but I was surprised by how well it moisturized. The smell is one of the better rose-scented products I've used in the past. It's not old lady and it's not too strong. After a full day on the beach and showering with a bar of soap, applying this body milk felt decadent and indulgent.


Another Body Shop Tea Tree Cleansing Wipes. I went through these like air during the summer, but ever since my face got dried out by the Clinique toner in late November, these wipes have been stinging and uncomfortable. I've resolved to stop buying wet wipes unless absolutely necessary, so you won't see these around here again.

The next four products died in Singapore.


EcoTools Travel Brush - I really like EcoTools and should get more of their brushes. This travel brush lasted a good five or more years, but I may have shampooed this a little too vigorously before leaving on vacation and the whole thing fell apart on my last day abroad. Brushes don't usually show up in empties posts but in this case, I can definitely say that I finished a brush


Philosophy Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser (travel size) - My go-to makeup remover and cleanser. This was a 100 points perk at Sephora and was exactly the amount I needed for a two-week trip. I'm nearing the end of a jumbo size Purity at the moment and contemplating whether I should keep on buying Purity. Love it but kind of pricey.

Burt's Bees Tomato Toner for Oily Skin (travel size) - I never bothered to show this on the blog but I got it on a whim before I became serious about looking for toners without scent and alcohol. It's an older product that I think isn't sold anymore, and thank goodness because it was kind of awful. It stung my face badly and had that "natural but unpleasantly natural" smell that I hated all throughout. I used the decanted amount I took on the trip but dumped the remainder of the full bottle. It's not even going to make it into the empties post, it's so terrible.

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer (sample size) - Regular readers should know how much I adore this primer. I wanted to see how well it would hold up in the heat of the tropics and it performed adequately. I'm almost finished with the full size bottle and contemplating whether its hefty price tag is worth the splurge. On the deck is the Shu Uemura BB Under Base Mousse I picked up at the Tokyo duty-free. I guess we shall see in a month or so.

The rest are recent empties.


Bath & Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom Bath & Shower Gel - I'm not a fan of this scent but my sister left me the half-finished bottle before she left for the Philippines and I obediently finished it to the last drop. It does the job, if a bit too well -- I feel like it's stripping of moisture -- and I doubt that I'll ever buy this one.

Frederic Fekkai Glossing Conditioner - Reviewed here. Another "meh" product sold at a horrendous price. Not buying again, ever.


Dr. Dennis Gross Extra Strength Alpha Beta Peel (sample) - The last of my two sample packets from Sephora. I reviewed it briefly here. My feelings about it haven't changed, especially now that I'm seeing such great results from regular use of the Clarisonic Mia. Not purchasing.

Bare Escentials On the Spot Liquid-Filled Cotton Swabs - These are like a secret no one seems to know about. BE had them long before Almay came out with them and I had two packs that never really got used because I just use regular eye makeup removers at home. But these are fabulous for travel and I love breaking the tip to see the liquid flow down into the cotton swab. I'm also surprised that the price has remained steady at USD$5/CDN$6. I'm going to refrain from buying any but will scoop one up when travel plans loom on the horizon. (You can buy them at Sephora online here.)

Guerlain Terracotta Skin in Brunette (sample) - Review forthcoming.

Bonne Belle Lip Smacker 100% Natural Pink Guava - Ranted about it WAAAY back when here and still hung on to it! Hate it and see no need to suffer with a $1 lip balm that doesn't balm well. Toss!


PureDerm Green Tea Essence Mask - Sheet masks are all the rage but I'm not into them. I think they're great for dry skin types who could use a boost of moisture from the masks but have yet to come across one that works on an oily face. I just look like Hannibal Lector and get impatient with these sitting on my face for 20 minutes because I want to eat or drink something as soon as they go on. See?

Hee!

And now for the unloved items being tossed. Six lipsticks and two glosses must go!


MAC Cremesheen in Modesty - Seemed like a good pink nude at the time but it's pink that clashes with the yellow in my skin tone and then it had to melt and bend in the strangest way, making it impossible for me to work with it. It's going in a separate bag for B2MAC.


Then we have:
  • LORAC Cream Lipstick in Soul Sista
  • Cargo Plan Love in Sam
  • L'Oreal Colour Riche in Sunwash
  • Clinique High Impact SPF 15 in Go Fig


I had a habit of picking brownish lipsticks that I thought were slightly deeper than MLBB shades. They actually make me look dated and unhealthy. The Cargo smelled pretty bad when I opened the cap so that had to go. The Lorac is a lovely creamy texture so it's a shame but I never reach for it. I've learned my lesson: no more brown lipsticks.


This one here was a tiny gift with purchase and I don't even know the shade name. But it's a despicable shade of pink with gold shimmer that looks AWFUL on me. I don't know why I kept it this long.


And these two... they sort of floated back and forth between my sister and I for so many years that although they apply just fine, I feel icky knowing that they're about five years old at least and need to be buried. Or burned.

Clinique Raspberry Glace
Lancome Bonfire

And finally, Voluspa French Bourbon Vanille Candle. It's creamy but not sweet -- and musky, too, without being overwhelming. It has 80-hour burn time and those 80 hours are divine. It's a great winter scent that makes your home feel cozy and sophisticated at the same time. Good thing I got two of them for 30% off at Indigo!


Today's total:
  • 7 lip products tossed
  • 1 candle finished (doesn't count as a "product")
  • 6 full-size finished
  • 7 travel/sample-size finished

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I counted up all the previous empties, and the year-end total, including today's, are as follows:
  • Jumbo size - 6
  • Full size - 47
  • Travel/sample size - 17
  • Tossed - 21
Going by my rule of (1 jumbo = 2 regular size) and (5 travel/sample = 1 regular size), I've emptied the equivalent of 62.4 products since June when I started keeping track of empties. That's an astounding number to me. That means we finish about a 100 products in a given year, give or take a few dozens depending on your beauty routines. Something to think about and chew on as we move toward making better choices in the new year!

Did you keep track of your year-end empties? How many products did you finish in 2011?

32 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you actually finish things! I finish things like shampoo, but I've never finished a makeup product, ever. I have given things away (or thrown them away) of course. I'm just so fickle . . . And I wish everything came in mini sizes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as you can see, I didn't finish any makeup this time around. We're all in the same position, really. :< I keep giving things away but there seems to be an endless amount of things. But keep trying!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I don't think I finish that many products in a year. I'm also not as good about keeping track of them, so I guess I'll never know.

    The goopy MAC lipstick is creepy :P

    Those BE cotton tips seem awesome! Filled with parabens, though, unfortunately. Boo. They do seem like a good travel staple, though.

    Love your sheet mask face. I have never tried one. I think I'd be impatient, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through primers, foundations and concealers quite a lot, so right there are three categories of things that I use that you don't (as much)!

      I always regret putting on masks. It always happens at the most inconvenient times!

      Delete
  3. wahoo! My first empties post is going up on Feb 20 :) I'm excited. The Voluspa candle looks divine, maybe I'll take a look at those when I finally get around to finishing 3 candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feb 20, got it diarized. ;)

      Voluspa is my upgrade from B&BW. I think I'm going to get Tocca Stella next!

      Delete
  4. I haven't done an empties post in a while either, I find it goes in waves for me - probably because I tend to buy in waves and then everything ends up running out at once. Currently I just finished an eye cream and have two face creams that are nearing completion so that's a prime example. I hear you on the difficulty of finishing makeup - but as always I find it terribly inspiring when you give away stuff - it encourages me to do the same! I put a lot of things up for swap, but anything that I don't deem swap worthy (less than half of the product left, or funky like your MAC lippie) I tend to force myself to use up. I think I need to bite the bullet and just let go of these products once and for all. Especially now with our ban on, I'm eager to get rid of things so I can buy new stuff :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been feeling meh on the swapping front. It's awfully time-consuming and a lot of people are from the States, which means higher shipping rates and I might as well BUY new things with the $$ spent on mailing and getting back USED crap. Scaling back on that unless I'm actually saving money!

      I've given my sisters and friends so many things that I think they're starting to feel overwhelmed. That's why I want to start off our ban by passing out some things to my fellow ban members. lol

      Delete
  5. Lady, colour me impressed! You continue to astound me on a regular basis; only a month and a half since your last empties post? Are you kidding me? That, my friend, is a Herculean achievement by anyone's standards! Kudos! As to the brown lipsticks, it's funny that we always seem to gravitate to that one shade we have the most of -- you'd figure we'd learn by now, right?! Congrats Liz & to many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind! And I have learned, I'd like to think. :) Hopefully I'll be able to show some real beauties in the future and no more of this wasteful tossing of bad products!

      Delete
  6. WOW. Congrats, Liz!

    Because you are so super inspiring, I have started collecting empties (I have a separate bag for MAC B2M). :) I will do a post at the end of every month and dedicate it to you.

    The bad thing for me is that I buy like, 20 items for every one that is finished. :(

    P.S. If you are looking for a good non-pink nude for yellow-toned skin, check out MAC Cherish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Denise! I feel so honoured. :)

      Empties are a good way to get out mini reviews on things you don't want to dedicate an entire post to. Mine are never short, but it's better than trying to write 12 extra posts in a month.

      I'll check out Cherish when my stupid ban lifts. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Way to go Liz! I am working on my first empties post as we speak! I am so inspired after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, what do you know? Everyone's doing the empties! Can't wait to read it. :D

      Delete
  8. Great minds finish alike, I have my first empties post coming this week and proudly almost have enough for a second one. I'm becoming obsessed with finishing things now! Love the photo with the mask, I'm going to try that sunscreen you loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been kind of quiet and I've been waiting for your posts with great anticipation. ;) It does get obsessive after a while! I started playing the empties with kitchen and office supplies as well. LOL

      Delete
  9. Hahaha! Love the mask pic!! You got some great Lipstick Bandit lips there girl ;)
    I am always in awe of your empties. You are amazing!
    I think I should be doing one soon- I think my bag is kind of full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I was puzzled by why my lips look so much bigger than usual in that pic. I think the mask just emphasizes the parts that show. Thanks, though! Would love to see your empties, too. ;)

      Delete
  10. I used 119 products in 2011. So far for 2012, I've used up 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, thanks! You're proving my theory correct. :)

      Delete
  11. i'm nowhere near you but i'm proud that i'm actually using my products. I used to be the worst hoarder of everything and seriously used up nothing but you've changed my way of life LOL i'm going to choose a lipstick and finish it too ^^ seriously always in awe of ur empties posts ^^ and i coulda sworn i posted a mask face too but apparently i'm not that brave lol

    and omg that mac lipstick O_O one of mine is almost in that condition lol and i seriously had to lol @ all those almost same colored brown lipsticks. i have a ton of lipsticks and i don't own a SINGLE one like those xD. that color does not appeal to me in the tube or out ~>_<~ i'm giving a slight cheer for your tossing those but i'm a fan of pinks so you may be reluctant to join my ranks lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changed your way of life... that's mighty high praise! It sounds like you've always wanted to but just needed a nudge and a pinch. ;)

      That meltdown business happened to a few other MACS and one is a Viva Glam that I happen to adore. I'm debating what to do with all the melted lipsticks. Should I get a palette and de-tube? Seems like so much effort. Yeah, the ugly browns hung in there for too long. I should have cleared them out earlier! I'm going to be very careful about the pinks that come home with me in the future, too. :)

      Delete
  12. Come to think of it, I never tallied last year's worth of empties. I'll pretend I emptied around 50 so I can aim for 100 this year. But more importantly, I hope I empty things I like rather than trudge through crap products again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Isn't it a shame when we're always like, "Mmmmmmmm... didn't like this"? I want to love and treasure my things, instead of rushing to get rid of them because I hate them. 2012 will be full of GREAT things only! ;)

      Delete
  13. Great job with the empties Liz! I think ONE of your empties posts would equal THREE of mine lol. I love that pic of you & your sheet mask - I remember when I first started to use sheet masks I could never keep it on as I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous I looked...and its even funnier when you see yourself laughing in a sheet mask, the key is to avoid the mirror! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, only because I talk a lot. lol

      My sisters would always try to make me laugh whenever they caught me doing a mask and it would result in deeply cracked mud faces every single time! The sheets are pretty funny. I miss sleepovers when everyone would put one on and much laughter ensued. :)

      Delete
  14. I am thoroughly impressed by your empties posts! Mine for January is long overdue...hopefully I'll work up the energy to finish it tonight.

    I do admit I badly need to purge makeup that's just too old or never worked for me. I've been holding on to them for heck knows why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so - want to see it!

      Sometimes I think these mini purges aren't sufficient and a big culling session is necessary to wipe out the colony of old and detestable. But so many reasons not to: (A) no time, (B) no energy, (C) DENIAL. I need to grow like 10 more faces to wear everything!

      Delete
  15. OMG!!! It's an international empties!!!!!! Now you've got me thinking I need to go through my stash and get rid of the unloved. I wish I had sisters to share such things. Lucky girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it's difficult being the sister who does all the buying. lol

      Culling is healthy. I'm SO glad I got rid of those nasty lipsticks!

      Delete
  16. So with you on throwing out some fusty looking stuff, I've had a bit of a pre-spring clean too. You've gotten through loads! Very impressed with your final year tally :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, high praise from my empties hero! Thanks, Claire! I could use about 5 more cleanings but they won't be for a while. :)

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.