Sunday, April 8, 2012

2012 Empties Part 3

Let's lighten up a little around here. I had this batch of empties ready almost immediately after the last one, and already the empties bag is starting to overflow for the next round.


Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Jumbo - 473.1 ml)


My holy grail makeup remover/facial cleanser. The price is steep, however. I first began by trying out the Sephora free sample and liked it, and worked my way through these babies from the smallest $10 bottle to this. I stopped short of buying the extra extra jumbo size that was released at some point because it was like $100 and I'm not insane. I'm trying some other stuff right now but it may be that I will return to this in the end. If a one-step facial cleanser works, it's worth two products in one. So the justification is there though my budget isn't.

Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar Moisturizing Conditioner


Crap. Crap, crap, crap. Never again.

LUSH Bath Bomb (I DON'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF)


Something about lavender and relaxing. It used to look like this:


And it looks like this in the bath:


Basically it's like bathing in a lake. Like, a real lake, with frogs and pond scum. There are what look like twigs and branches and leaves in this bomb. It smells nice and relaxing at first... but when looking at the water, I felt like I needed another shower after. For those who love the au naturel, this is for you. For those who like synthetic crap (like me), stay away. When I take a $7 bath, I want to see colours, bubbles, smoke and fireworks, goddammit.

Finess Rose Scent Oil Control Sheet



Picked it up for probably too much at a Watson's in Manila. There was no discernible rose scent and it blotted okay. I like the large size of the sheets. Does the job, no fuss no muss.

Adidas 24hr Deo Control


I was hoping it would provide protection against wetness but nope. I have no need for deodorants as my pits don't smell even after three days without shower in the wilderness (tried, tested and true -- don't hate me), so I'm tossing this and never buying regular deodorants again.

Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Oil


I was so glad when these guys showed up in my local Rexall/Pharma Plus because I'm terrified of going into vitamin/herb stores for some reason. After getting my feet wet with The Body Shop tea tree line last summer, I decided to try the 100% tea tree oil as well. The stuff stinks to high heavens but it works wonders, especially after exfoliating with the Clarisonic. I wake up in the morning with greatly diminished zits and as close to a clear face as I can get nowadays. I should try using it every night but I can take the pungent scent only 2-3 times a week. I've repurchased another 100% tea tree oil but in a different brand to see if there's a difference.

Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Concealer


It's maybe my fourth or fifth time finishing this concealer. It's a smooth concealer that comes in my exact shade and has just the right amount of liquid-cream ratio. The only problem is that there is so little in the thin tube for so high a price. I'm going to play around with some drugstore concealers but may end up returning to this again in the future.

Clarisonic Normal Skin Brush


This is the brush that came with the Mia I got before the Christmas holidays. I have oily, acne-prone skin and found that while this brush did wonders for areas like the forehead (where the skin is clear) and the nose (prone to blackheads), it was slightly abrasive and rough on my cheeks and chin where the giant blemishes would sit and grow. I'm currently using the Sensitive Skin brush and find that to be perfect for the cheeks but not as good as the Normal for the nose. And now Clarisonic has come out with a new Deep Pore brush and an Acne brush, available in the U.S. only for time being. I didn't expect to have to jump around from brush to brush, but obviously I will be trying both the Deep Pore and Acne brushes when they finally crosses the border into Canada.

Butter London Mistress Champagne Luxury Lotion


This is the second of the three travel size Butter London lotions I was sent as a winner of a contest way back when. I had given this particular one to my baby sister but she returned it saying that she didn't like the scent. Poor unwanted lotion. I've been carrying it around in one of my purses and using it as a hand lotion. I do find the texture to be smooth and luxurious, but for the body I personally prefer thicker and richer products like body butters. Won't be purchasing.

(Though this is a travel size lotion, I'm going to count it as a full size hand cream since that's what it was used as.)

Sally Hansen Complete Care 4-in-1

[not pictured]

I got it over a year ago, and while it was cheap and served its purpose well, after a painful incident with a broken nail, I decided to nurture my nails with better products considering how often I change nail polish. It was more than half finished and scooping out the remainder was starting to become a chore. So while I didn't quite make it to the end, I still feel better for having tossed it. It's an okay product and definitely better to use as a base coat than not wearing base coat at all, but I probably won't repurchase this.

TOTAL:


Today's Total:
Jumbo: 1
Regular: 7
Travel/Sample: 0
Tossed: 2

2012 Total:
Jumbo: 2
Regular: 20
Travel/Sample: 13
Tossed: 2

How are your empties going??

26 comments:

  1. Firstly, I love Purity too! I bought the duo of the Megasuperjumbo pumps of the Purity AND the Microdelivery Scrub and they lasted me OVER A YEAR! I loved them (bought them from QVC on "Easy Pay"...that always helps me to justify the purchase). Secondly, I had an addiction to huffing tea tree oil when I was pregnant with my first son. It started innocently enough with a tea tree oil shampoo that I had. Then I found myself sniffing it while in the shower. This eventually led to me buying a bottle of straight up tea tree oil. Hmmm...It's a good thing that was just a weird pregnancy thing, or else I might've ended up on the show, "My Strange Addiction" (watched one of those where the lady huffed pine cleaner all the time...she would put it in a face mask and wear it!). Well, I've gone on a tangent. I love your empties posts! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I love your tangent! Now I have this visual of you as a tea tree sniffing pregnant lady but am glad to know the phase passed. ;)

      If the megajumbo Purity lasted over a year, it does seem to be worth the hefty price tag. Hmmmmm!

      Delete
  2. i 100 percent agree about the bath and body works hair products i have a shampoo and conditioner for a long time bc it made my hair a nightmare i cant blv u finished it, kudos! i think im going to toss mine out soon!
    i heard good things about the mufe concealer, but the same about the small amt of product, im trying their full cover version which seems to last forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm using something worse than the BBW shampoo now! Waaah! lol

      I've tried the Full Cover before and found it's thicker and more difficult to blend. I looooove the smooth consistency of the HD. :(

      Delete
  3. I Your empties posts are so inspiring! I hope I can get my beauty products under control soon.

    Frances
    hellofrances.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try and see if it isn't as addicting as buying!

      Delete
  4. LOL @ the Lush bath bomb! I'm fine with the twigs and branches stuff, but I stop at the frogs haha. I've been wanting to try the MUFE HD concealer since I love the foundation, I probably would still buy one to try but if you find a drugstore alternative let me know! As for my empties, it's been in development for some time now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, imagine if a frog had been packed into the bath bomb? I did have a pet frog as a kid though and sort of miss it. :)

      I have no doubt your empties will be AMAZIIIIING!

      Delete
  5. I have an empties post coming up! I finished all kinds of things, it's wild and exciting. And I agree - for $7 I want fireworks and big bangs with my bath, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, I'm so looking forward to it! I need some wild and exciting.

      Delete
  6. I agree, I don't think I would want twigs in my bath! I must try the 100% tea tree oil! Thanks so much for the recommend. =D

    I also started using my TSP tea tree cleanser from one of your last posts and I think its growing on me! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the tea tree cleanser might be too harsh during winter but it worked really well on my super oily skin during the summer! Glad you like. :)

      Delete
  7. Your review of the Lush bath bomb made me LOL. I definitely agree that for the price, it should make me feel like a princess, not a wood nymph! And great job on the empties :) I love Purity, too, though I've never sprung for anything bigger than the 8 oz one. Also, I *do* hate you for not smelling after 3 days without a shower. I hope you appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people may prefer the wood nymph feeling but it was way too rustic for me. ;O

      I'm working through my stash and hoping to come across a cheaper Purity alternative. Will post if I ever do find one!

      Delete
  8. LOLOL @ "When I take a $7 bath, I want to see colours, bubbles, smoke and fireworks, goddammit." I'm the exact same way. I'm like, "If I'm going to go through the stress of taking a bath and actually clean my tub and shit, it better be MAGICAL." I finally took a bath with Sex Bomb, and it was quite delightful. I DO recommend! It made my bath tub pink and smelled really good. My friend at Lush just gave me an Avobath bomb, 'cause it's apparently AMAZING FOR YOUR SKIN. But it smells ridiculously good, too. :)

    "I have no need for deodorants as my pits don't smell even after three days without shower in the wilderness" -- Haha, I'm the same way with deodorants!!! Maybe it's an Asian thing? I don't often smell Asians with BO's. Or, at least, strong ones...

    I might be the only one that doesn't like Purity Made Simple. At least, the original formula. Apparently, Philosophy made a foaming gel version of it, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have one Sex Bomb and it always sounds friggin' amazing when people review it! My brother actually cleaned the bath tub yesterday so guess what I'll be doing today! I have no idea what Avobath is and won't be looking at that any time soon... lol.

      The odour thing is totally an Asian thing. The only person in my family who smells is my brother but it's more of a general guy smell than a B.O. thing.

      I *think* I've seen the foaming version of Purity at the Eaton Centre Sephora as well as the Bloor/Avenue Sephora. Did you see if Yorkdale had it?

      Delete
  9. These empties posts of yours have become addictive to the rest of us too, as we eagerly wait to see what else you've magically made it through! As to that Lush bath bomb....YUCK-OLA!! Why would anyone want to sit in a tub filled with that? And you say you already have more empties lined up? Don't know how you do it, my friend.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, "magically" - I've been accused of tossing things down the sink but I totally do not! I might use more than the usual amount per usage if I really wanted to plow through something though.

      I'm so sure that your empties would be monumental if you only stopped to collect the empty bottles, but obviously you're a bit more normal than I am, so... ;) lol

      Delete
  10. Right, so that's why I'm not a Lush fan either! Love it Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lush is also expensive! You think it's cheap but then the total shocks you if you walk out with more than three things. :x

      Delete
  11. Seriously, some bath bombs can be a total "WTF" but please tell me the ones I sent you didn't bring gross mental images like bathing with sludge monsters D:

    & I totally resent your non-body odor. I just HAD to be one of those Asian girls who DOES smell and need all types of underarm protection T_____T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had time to try the ones you sent but today I shall take a bath with the Sex Bomb!

      As for the odour, I'm sorry, LOL, but I bet you have some very non-Asian skills that the rest of us are very jealous of!

      Delete
  12. Hehe, I had a giggle over the lush bath bomb--- they do spew out interesting bits. I pretend like it adds to the 'ambience' =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ambiance only needed some birds chirping and frogs croaking! :)

      Delete
  13. Yea...the Lush bath bomb is a huge WTF...

    While away I used the dregs of Philosophy's cleanser that I had put into another container...I still really love it but I'm just too scared to use it in case all the harsh chemicals are bad for my face lol. It doesn't seem to be problematic but I'm pretty much scarred for life (figuratively and literally) from so many products that I'm too nervous to investigate further. As for the MUFE concealer, I've heard great things but the price vs the size is such a deterrent! Which is truly a shame.

    Good work on the empties Liz, I had a great month for skincare but failed miserably with the cosmetics side I think. We'll know soon enough when I do the tally this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a tricky thing, navigating through all the potentially harmful ingredients. :( At this point I'm like, just stick with what works. Purity happens to work well for me but I hate the price for it. Same with that damn MUFE.

      Can't wait to see your tally! Keep it up!

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.