Friday, June 22, 2012

Inventory #12.1 - Makeup Removers and Facial Cleansers

I'm back!

Granted, it has only been one week, but it was a very long week and felt more like a month in my mind. Thanks for all your well wishes -- I am feeling much better now and have only a lingering cough, which is sooo annoying to both me and everyone around who has to listen to the constant hacking. Hopefully this will be my one sickness of the year and I'll go back to being as healthy as a horse.

While I should have been focused on Shakespeare's problem plays, all week my mind kept wandering in the direction of the endless stash of crap I keep hoarding, and I'm more convinced than ever that this is a serious problem. I don't need 11+ cleansers in my arsenal. It seems that I haven't improved much from a year and a half ago, based on the last inventory. Let's see what's going on here today.

Removers/Cleansers in Rotation


Marcelle Essentials 3 in 1 Cleanser - This jumbo size goes for about $16.99 at the drugstore and I snagged it on a sale for only $10. I've never come across a Marcelle product I disliked, but this is the first. The idea behind it is that you massage this milky makeup remover over your dry face and wipe away all traces of makeup with a cotton. It's supposed to act as a cleanser and toner as well, so technically you shouldn't have to double cleanse nor rinse. Well, I'm not crazy about those things. I like a thorough water & soap cleanse at the sink and using tissue or cotton to wipe away makeup also feels doubly wasteful. Also, I tried using it the way they instruct and it resulted in endless amount of tissue and makeup still remaining on my face when I disregarded the instruction and swiped toner-soaked cotton pads over my face. I do use it to remove my foundation at the end of the day, but I rinse it away with water and follow with a regular facial cleanser and a toner. In comparison to my holy grail, Philosophy's Purity Made Simple, the Marcelle Essentials is a distant second.

Bioderma Micelle Solution for Sensitive Skin - $30 of hype that I want a refund for. I really need to stick to my rule of trying new products with the smallest size, not the biggest. But the cheapo in me could not resist a bargain when I saw the jumbo size at discounted price in the winter. Everyone -- and I mean, everyone -- has been raving about this micellar water cleanser, and I doubted myself and came to believe that the entire world could not be wrong. Well, world -- you're wrong. Like the Marcelle cleanser/remover, it doesn't exactly wipe everything away and I feel the need to scrub my face at the sink afterward although it says you shouldn't have to. The toner test reveals that even after using five tissues' worth of this micellar water, foundation remains on the face. I suppose I'll keep it and use it as an eye makeup remover or backup toner, but as a makeup remover/facial cleanser, I find it severely lacking. Feel free to disagree but I will not be swayed again. I can't believe that heavy foundation wearers are happy with this as the sole product in the face cleansing routine. Maybe one lazy night, sure, but certainly not to be depended on on its own for consecutive nights.

Etude House Happy Teatime Milk Tea Cleanser - A frippery I picked up from Singapore that is now in the empties bag. To be discussed in full then; for now I give it a major thumbs down.

Dermalogica Clean Start Wash Off Foaming Wash - This, too, is now in the empties bag. It's a part of a 3-piece travel size set for fighting acne. I will post a full review on the set within the next few weeks. For now I'll say that it's a pretty good cleanser as far as its anti-acne powers are concerned.

Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser - When it comes to facial cleansers, I'm probably always in the minority. Many people like Neutrogena facial products and even dermatologists swear by it. This never did much for me, and now it's a bit too old for me to be testing it out on my face. I use it as a brush shampoo and find that it works very well for that function.

DDF Brightening Cleanser - I was on the verge of tossing this but decided to give it one last chance this week. If used too frequently, it creates painfully dry patches on sensitive areas, so I shall be cautious and use it no more than two or three times a week. At the first sign of negative reaction, it will end up in the empties bag for good.

Recently Purchased Cleansers


Despite the six different products I listed above, sadly I needed new facial cleansers this month. Two are now finished, two are makeup removers and not cleansers (to me), and two are old cleansers that aren't any good. With summer's heat and sweat looming in the horizon, I needed an anti-acne cleanser to keep the zits at bay, but I really didn't feel like spending any more money on cleansers when there are six products already in rotation for one reason or another. So I browsed the clearance sections at drug stores and found two bargain basement deals that I feel quite optimistic about. The Clean & Clear Morning Burst In-Shower Facial contains glycolic acid and the Garnier Pure Unclogging Gel Scrub contains salicylic acid. I haven't used either of them yet as I've been waiting to finish up the Milk Tea and the Clean Start cleansers first. If they're worth raving about, they'll be featured again in a future post. I figure that with a good makeup removing routine, including the Clarisonic Mia, followed by toning and anti-acne treatment, cleansers don't really rank all that high in importance so long as they're not overly stripping or completely useless.

Travel Size Back-Ups


Then there are the endless number of samples and travel-size things that take up an entire drawer of my desk. Not featured are a couple of other cleansers and removers that I may or may not be putting up on the blog sale (samples from Sisley and Caudalie and a Bourjois Paris makeup remover). I was so looking forward to using up one of these travel sized cleansers this summer, but I'm not going anywhere anytime soon... so I may as well just dig in, right?

As always, the deal is I show you mine and you show me yours. :-) How many cleansers are in rotation in your bathroom right now? What's your rationale for buying new cleansers when you already have many in stock? Do you have a favourite facial cleanser? Am I crazy for not falling in love with the Bioderma cleansing water? To the comments!

42 comments:

  1. Okay, this is the easy one for me. I don't buy new cleansers until I'm in danger of running out of the one I have (this means 1/8 bottle or less, that sort of thing). At that point, if I didn't like the one I have, I look for something new. If I did, I keep on keeping on! These things that are simply functional (remove makeup, clean face) are kind of boring, I think, haha, so I don't feel the need to try every new thing. Especially since I'm lazy and I like routines...hahahaha. Right now, I have one Neutrogena eye makeup remover, one Clinique cleansing milk, one Clinique facial soap, one Yu-be exfoliating scrub. I don't like the Yu-be, but it's okay for now, so once I'm done I'll probably try the Philosophy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so good! I don't repurchase the same thing unless I really love them and now I'm on the hunt for cheaper alternatives and it opens the door wide open to everything again. Determined to get rid of all this stuff now and be more like you.

      Delete
  2. Wow- I know everyone and their mother has been banging on about the Bioderma since last summer and I came close to ordering but thought if I was going to spend $$ on something it would be a lipstick and not a makeup remover. I'm glad I didn't go through with it. The Clarisonic works way better than any cleanser/toner/tonic/wipe/remover I have ever tried. My test is using aforementioned items and then following with the Clarisonic. Verdict? Almost always residue. le sigh. But my cleanser of choice has been the Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel. I ran out of my Body Shop Seaweed Cleanser and this Boscia one came free when I purchased the Clarisonic last fall (can't be that four letter word). I like it, but I'm not sure I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also- for your Clarisonic- try the mint green brush head over the blue one. I have tried both (oily skin, occasional acne) and the green one works much better for me. I found that the blue one was just too harsh over time. My skin seemed to get worse by month two. After I switched it was so much better and my skin has been much clearer.

      Delete
    2. I think you and I are skin twinsies! Except that you don't have massive breakouts and scars like I do. The Boscia was also my fave cleanser but there's so little for what it costs that I can't go there right now. And thanks for the heads up on the new Clarisonic brushes! The thing is they're not in Canada yet and the Sephora website won't let us purchase them either! Retarded, right??? I honestly don't know what goes on at the border but I'll definitely go for the green one when they finally get here. Thanks, Danielle!

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I totally hate those cleansing milks. Like you, I have oily skin and wear foundation on a regular basis, so aside from not taking my make-up off, they also leave a nasty film on my face. GROSSTASTIC. Only foaming cleansers for me!

    Currently, I have two cleansers by my sink for washing my face in the morning (MAC Lightful Marine-Bright Formula Cleanser and Boscia Purifying Gel Cleanser), and I have five in my shower for night-time make-up removal and deep cleansing (MAC Cremewash, Chanel Mousse Exfoliante Purete, Philosophy Purity Made Simple Foaming Cleansing Gel, Malin + Goetz Grapefruit Face Cleanser, and Boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser with Botanical Blast). My faves are MAC Cremewash and Chanel Mousse Exfoliante Purete. :)

    I always buy cleansers when I know I have tons at home. It's such a bad habit, lol. Even though I have favourites, I'm like, "WHAT IF THERE'S SOMETHING BETTER OUT THERE???"

    I actually love the Bioderma cleansing water for removing eye make-up. Cleansing waters don't do enough to take off foundation, but it's fantastic for removing non-waterproof eye make-up, especially if you have sensitive eyes. I swore by it when I was in make-up school and I had to take off my eye make-up about 20 times a day. And sometimes, if I'm in a pinch, I'll use MAC Wipes to take off my make-up and then follow up with the Bioderma cleansing water to get rid of any remaining residue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you wouldn't name the Chanel as a fave... damn! lol

      How's the Purity in the gel form? I've only tried the original which is the one I keep going on about. I'm so curious about how the liquid and the gel compares with it.

      And thanks for confirming the Bioderma as eye makeup remover thing! Honestly, I was just so deflated after everyone and their mother went on about how great it was. Guess I better start using more eye makeup to empty out this giant jug.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I just bought a new tube of the Chanel! It's $46, but one tube seriously lasts me half a year, I kid you not.

      I like it better in the gel form than in the liquid form, but they both perform very similarly in terms of make-up removal. It's not my favourite texture (I still prefer foaming CREAMY cleansers) but it does lather up, which is more than I can say for the original formula. The reason I like it is because it's gentle on the eye area, too, and any cleanser that can cut down my make-up removal time is a winner in my books. I still prefer Lancome's Creme Radiance, but for the price, Philosophy's does the job.

      You can always use the Bioderma as a toner! I often use cleansing water as toner because it'll get rid of any residue that your cleanser leaves behind. :)

      Delete
    3. I forgot about your lather factor, LOL. I really like the original Purity in the winter despite not lathering up because it's so gentle yet effective at removing makeup.

      I do use the Bioderma as toner after I use wet wipes sometimes. I still prefer The Body Shop Aloe toner over it though.

      Delete
  4. Currently rotating 2 main cleansers but sometimes I'll throw another 3 into the mix when my skin stops reacting to the first 2. *Whispers: But I actually have tons of travel size bottles that need to be used up too ><* Although, I think it's okay to have an overstock of cleansers. If anything, you can use them as brush cleansers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers back* It's okay to not use up the travel size... meep!

      I feel so robbed when I think of how I used to shell out $20 for a brush shampoo when facial cleansers do the job just fine. Like, I spent more for the damn brushes than my precious FACE!

      Delete
  5. Oh man. So I did an inventory of all my cosmetics and skin care products (took me hours) and I have 12 cleansers. This includes full and sample size, makeup removers, facial cleansers, and wipes. Ridiculous! I immediately put a hold on my remaining beauty box subscription.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Good for you for taking the time. I do it in parts like this because if I conducted an inventory of everything, I might have to shoot myself in the head by the end. @_@

      Good idea with stopping the beauty subscription. It certainly doesn't aid in your endeavour to cut down!

      Delete
    2. Dude... the full inventory was unintentional. I meant to catalog just my eyeshadows, but that spilled over to the rest of my cosmetics and kept going for some reason. It was akin to masochism. 0_o I do not recommend it either.

      Delete
    3. LOL! Well, you survived and told the tale. The battle is half won. :D

      Delete
    4. Yes! :) And, I've decided to plough through the samples to get the list down. Woo!

      Delete
  6. I seriously thought I was the only one who didn't like Bioderma! Even when I used another cleanser and a toner afterwards I still broke out. Bad. I bought a tiny bottle when I was in France but I was soooooo tempted by the double pack of the big bottles since it was so cheap. So happy that I decided I wouldn't wanna lug those home with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're wiser than I was! I wouldn't have resisted the double pack if I had been in France. I do feel like it didn't help with the breakouts, though I wonder if the one formulated for oily/combination skin would work better for us. But I'm done with micellar waters... probably. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh god, I thought I was the only one who has never had any luck with Neutrogena! Thank you for confirming I'm not insane!
    And yeah, Bioderma is a nice micellar, but not worth the price if you're not in Europe where it's 16e for two of the 500ml bottles. I think part of its appeal to all these European models who bang on about it is the price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a few Neutrogena stuff that worked okay, but they are never the cost-friendly wonder that derms make them out to be!

      For me, the Bioderma hype was mainly through North American YouTubers and bloggers. Part of the appeal must be the French component. I wish I had kept the receipt for this!

      Delete
  8. I really like Bioderma cause it doesn't break me out or dry my skin. Saying that I don't use it to take off eye make up as it's fairly useless at that.

    As for Neutrogena, I have always had a strange reaction to it so I avoid it like the plague!

    I always use La Roche Posay effaclar or Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser. I'm not very adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the people who like Bioderma are of those with dry skin tendencies. What's your skin type, Gaelle? I need something more rough and abrasive, apparently!

      There's absolutely no need to be adventurous if you find products that work well for you. I'd like to keep going back to the same things but my skin is more fickle than my mind is. :)

      Delete
  9. I like using Bioderma on my eyes and for cleaning up messes/mistakes on someone I'm doing makeup on. As with all makeup removers (micellar water, wipes, etc.), I always, ALWAYS do a second cleanse after. That's really the only way I know for sure that I've removed everything. The one sure exception to that rule is Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish -- that stuff is AMAZING! It's literally one step cleansing and it I didn't double over in pain every time I saw the shipping price, I would buy more of that stuff. (Actually, $17 doesn't sound too bad... But... $17!!!)

    Actually the Philosophy cleanser also did a good job of removing makeup, but their skincare products always give me a reaction... -_-'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, now I want Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish. I've read good things about it but like you I'm reluctant to pay for shipping. :(

      I've only tried Purity and have been reluctant to try any other Philosophy skin care. They scared me for some reason!

      Delete
  10. I love my Bioderma! But I don't wear heavy foundations. I use it also every am to cleanse with-no soap in the morning for me. It never breaks me out or hurts my eyes. I love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooooow! And you have gorgeous skin!! Why won't these things work for me, too? :(

      Delete
  11. Currently I have LUSH Ocean Salt, Avene cleanance, and Philosophy purity in my bathroom. I'm sure I have a few other samples from clinique and lots of exfoliating cleansers around too. Gah.

    Thanks for the Bioderma review. I thought it would be holy grail, but from what it looks like, maybe not? If I see it, I'll think twice, though I'm still undecided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it all really depends on our skin, Dovey. Again I'm reminded of the importance of sampling before committing to any full size product, much less the jumbo! And I remember you being a fellow Purity lover. :)

      Delete
  12. I'm only using one cleanser right now - Body Shop's Vitamin E Cream Cleanser. If my skin LOOKS at another cleanser it just freaks out and goes into its panic room of breakouts and redness. I only purchased the Vitamin E stuff because my former face cleanser by Lush was too darn expensive. I'm happy with this one though! No big freaky breakouts unless I wear sunscreen... sigh... can't win :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. :/ But at least you found a cleanser that works well! And maybe get some cool hats in lieu of sunscreen?

      I was doing really well this week with a regular routine and almost no makeup - then screwed it all up by falling asleep last night w/o washing my face. And now, new zit on the forehead!

      Delete
  13. Oh, I feel like a total cleansing bore compared to you Liz! I have three cleansers on rotation and technically it's only two because the third cleansing option are my wipes. I'm currently using a perfectly serviceable gentle foaming cleanser from Olay for my morning in-shower cleanse and I sometimes mix it up with another weird self-heating exfoliating cleanser also from Olay(Regenerist I think?). As for the wipes - because I get dog-tired at night and so damn lazy - I depend on them to cleanse my face at night. At the moment it's Garnier but I'm working my way through all the brands until I get to baby wipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ cleansing bore! No such thing - less is more in this case. :)

      Delete
  14. I agree about Bioderma, it doesn't remove everything. For me, it removes my facial make-up, but not the eye make-up, especially if anything waterproof is involved.

    I only have two facial cleansers in rotation right now, but a bunch of deluxe travel sized ones waiting for their turn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel like people have been taken in by this micellar craze. :-/

      Two in rotation sounds good to me! And hopefully there's some exciting travels in your near future. :)

      Delete
  15. I have only one of each cleansing type products. My makeup remover is Marcelle Essentials micellar water, my eye makeup remover is Neutrogena oil free biphase remover, my scrub is Garnier Pure 3 in 1 cleaner, mask and scrub, my face cleaner is cetaphil mild cleaner and my toner is neutrogena 3 in 1 Acne Stress toner. I buy only when I'm almost done with one product. Haven't find holy grail products so I try new ones almost all the time. Only Marcelle products have I been repurchasing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot the wipes, they're Marcelle Hydra-C with one side scrubbish and I love em!

      Delete
    2. You are what I should be! It'd be so nice to depend on just one. I was actually doing really well with the cleansers until I suddenly acquired most of these in March. I generally also love Marcelle but am not impressed with the Essentials makeup remover. :(

      Delete
  16. I don't tend to accumulate cleansers - probably because I'm leery of most of them - so I have two: my Boscia Clear Complexion cleanser which I use in the AM to help control shine throughout the day, and an Olay Sensitive Skin one that is also sulfate-free and which I use alone most days, as I haven't been wearing foundation often - or if I have, I use Clinique's Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm first. I also have the full size of the Marcelle Hydra-C Exfoliating Gel that you have there, which I use every so often and quite enjoy! ...and that's it. Snooze!

    I totally agree with you on preferring soap and water cleansers, I just don't feel clean either after using the 'wipe-away' kinds. Also, I had a similar experience with the Bioderma cleanser, which I tried a few years ago - I think for me it's more of a toner than anything else. I might pick up a small travel size for New Zealand as I don't expect to wear much makeup, but overall it just doesn't cleanse as well as I'd hope. Guess we're the minority here Liz!! *REBELS*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know cleansers aren't all that exciting to talk about. I like hearing about your lineup, though. I've always wanted to like Olay but it's kind of like Neutrogena to me - not as miraculous for me as it has been to others in the past.

      So, is it time to create an anti-Bioderma group on Facebook? 2 members: Liz and Toya. LOL

      Delete
  17. See, I am glad you said that about Bioderma, I had wanted to try it because everyone gushes, but now I know. It ain't all that.

    I think cleanser and other skin care items are the best thing to go through. It's the thing you use constantly. I've gone through a bit. I'm just finishing up and I think I'll do a post. Also RGB nail polish is doing a freebie when you buy three, get one free. They're really nice, if you are feeling like a new toy. But if the ban is still in effect then disregard, completely and entirely. I'm opting out because I need too, but it's hard. A lot of free shipping and discounts are calling me. Must resist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Being a product hoarder I am, I have only one cleanser in my bathroom at a time. Well, depends on the point of view, I guess - I have one facial wash, one scrub/exfoliator, one eye-makeup remover and facial wipes. I do have few more waiting for their moment of glory in my closet, but for some reason I always do use the currently opened ones first. I have never felt the need to have more in rotation, unlike with most of the other products.
    Oh and my current favourite one is Clean&Clear Morning Burst cleanser (packaging with the pump - http://www.cleanandclear.com/product/cleansers/morning-burst-facial-cleanser). I bought it on a whim and really love it. It is super easy to use (all hail the pump), my skin feel nice after using it and it DOES NOT (finally, woohoo) make my skin too dry (I do have oily skin, but sensitive at the same time and can get really bad, even painful, dry patches when using some cleansers). My only complaint with this one would be that it seems to be disappearing too fast (I am using it for a week only now and have like 1/4 of it gone already - and I do not think I am using too much of the product), but it is quite cheap (would be around 6,45 CAD), so...
    And you are totally not crazy for not falling in love with the Bioderma cleansing water. It is my HG eye makeup remover. It removes everything for me and does not irritate my eyes or the area around, but I do not like using it to remove my face makeup. If I do, I end up using like five cotton pads at least and still feel like washing my face with water and gel afterwards. I use wipes for this purpose - cheaper and one is enough for me (still wash my face the normal way afterwards - I like very thorough cleansing). I am surprised at the high price, though (or is all cosmetics in Canada more expensive?) - it is not considered cheap here either, but 500ml bottle is under the equivalent of 25 CAD and the pharmacies (not sold in drugstores here) often 1+1 free promo.

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.