Monday, October 29, 2012

Favourite Blush(es) Part 3: Tarina Tarantino Dollskin Cheek Palette

I'm sorry that I sat on this review for so long, because Tarino Tarantino is clearing out of Sephora and all products are discounted to 40% off regular price. It makes this cheek palette an amazing steal at CAD$33, if you can still find it in the stores. (As of yesterday morning, the palette is no longer available on sephora.ca, so you must head to the nearest physical store and rummage in person.) This does not mean that the brand is going out of business, but if you were planning to make a TT purchase, now is the time. Tarina Tarantino cosmetics will eventually be available at its own site at www.tarinatarantino.com. (Right now it's just jewellery and accessories.)



I bought this palette almost a year ago, just before Christmas, and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made to date. It's the perfect solution for a supposed reductionista/blush fiend: four blushers in one to save time and hassle in the morning. This palette basically sits on my dresser all year long because each colour is so darn wearable and the difference between the four shades, though seemingly slight, provides enough variance that I am never bored with it.



The quality of each blush and the packaging is excellent. Sturdy and weighty but not too heavy. Each pan is perfectly sized at 0.12 oz/3.5g. I would have trouble ever hitting pan on blush bigger than that, and I would have trouble dipping brushes into pans smaller than that.


The four shades are as follows:
  • Feather (upper left) - shimmery peach
  • Parasol (upper right) - shimmery pink/peach
  • Carved Rose (lower left) - cool vivid pink
  • Candy Cameo (lower right) - shimmery pink 

 

Although three out of the four shades are described as "shimmery", only Candy Cameo contains large flecks of visible shimmer. Carved Rose is the only true matte and Feather and Parasol, while shimmery in swatches, do not appear to be so in the pans nor on the cheeks upon application.





Feather and Parasol are the warmer shades in the palette. Feather is a subtle neutral peach, which makes me reach for it quite often as it feels complementary to my yellower skin tone with olive undertone. Parasol is a pinky peach coral and just as friendly to my skin tone, and I really enjoyed using it in the summer when CORAL EVERYTHING is all the rage.









I tend to use Feather the most out of the four shades because it's the most subtle and easiest to build up, which makes it an excellent every day shade for school and work.

Carved Rose and Candy Cameo are the cool-toned pink beauties.





For a long time I held an aversion to pink and avoided it in all forms. I've come to embrace it as a necessary blush shade to enliven a neutral face or add luminosity to a wan complexion. Neither of these two are "Barbie" or "bubblegum" pinks that they first appear to be. Carved Rose is slightly dusky with a plummish undertone and Candy Cameo looks like a very pink lavender in certain lights.









I have to admit, the almost chunky shimmer in Candy Cameo makes me reach for it the least, but I still like to apply it on very rare and odd day that I need some extra sparkle. Carved Rose is a shade that I'm starting to really warm up to.

Even at regular price, the Dollskin Cheek Palette was an amazing deal and I consider it a staple in my collection. I think it's time to start creating more blush palettes, because when it comes to blush and shadow, the more the merrier...within reason, if you believe in it. ;-)

So, are you running out to grab a Dollskin palette now?

38 comments:

  1. Gorgeous swatches! I bought this (on sale) a couple weeks ago - Feather & Parasol are definitely my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you are quick. I JUST posted this right now. :)

      I saw your review last night after I had already scheduled this and was glad to see we agreed on a lot of things! The swatches took me forever, lol.

      Delete
  2. I kept resisting this palette because the majority of it is pink-based blushes and I prefer peaches but who could resist a blush palette at 40% off!?!?!
    I'm only mad I didn't order weeks ago cause now I've missed the regular blushes on sale too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to want some more pinks later, Ashlex. >:D

      LOLing at your blush greed. I actually didn't care too much for the individual blushes. I'm really focused on eventually palettizing my solo blushes now and the TT packaging for the solos are quite clunky.

      Delete
    2. Hey Ashley,

      if you want the TT Neapolitan Lane blush, I have an extra one. I purchased a back up but I don't need a back up even though it is my new favourite blush. I was going to return it today, but I'll hold off until I hear from you. I'd like to help out a fellow beauty lover.

      We're in the same city, so it shouldn't be too difficult to meet up. :)

      Liz, if you have access to my email, feel free to give it to Ashley. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the packaging of this brand (yes, I'm a total sucker for a pretty exterior) and I've heard nothing but amazing things about the quality of TT products. I have to say that I'm not a fan of blush palettes, primarily because I don't like having one shade's powder mix with another's - I prefer the control over single compacts, but I do agree with you as far as value goes with something like this. Glad you're stepping out of your comfort zone and trying out the cooler pinks; it's amazing how much a light swipe can totally brighten your face, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not enamoured of the general TT packaging but I like this palette because it's flat unlike the rest of her products! And I don't find that the powders mix at all. There's some flyaway here and there, but I'm pretty tame with my brushes, lol. In fact, I want to start packing all my blushes into palettes!

      Delete
  4. Parasol is a beautiful colour. I have a similar palette from Fashionista. I have to say this makes me even sadder that we don't have Sephora over here or Tarina Tarantino. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I am sad for you guys. :( But if it makes you feel better, we don't have Sleek or Fashionista here!

      Delete
  5. Parasol looks so pretty! I agree, they totally should make more blush palettes. The more the merrier indeed! I have a lipstick from TT and it's really nice, must go check out their other offerings while they're on sale. She actually has pretty good products. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about picking up a lipstick but... *points at my lipstick ban* lol I had a gloss go bad on me and feel paranoid about reducing the lips stash. I hope you can snag some good deals, Maggie!

      Delete
  6. I love her blushes! So good. I hope she comes out with some new shades now that she's going out on her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh!!!!!!! That didn't even occur to me. *bows to the BLUSHMASTER*

      Delete
  7. I think I like having drastically different colors of blushes, so this palette doesn't really do it for me. I do like her products in general,though! I'm with Tracy - I hope she makes more colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! She looks pretty outrageous with the pink hair and everything, so hopefully she'll get really inventive with some new products.

      Delete
  8. Liz, you were wondering how I converted this palette into a freestyle palette. I depotted the blushes using the alcohol method, removed the plastic insert (which took a lot of elbow grease), and then put down an adhesive magnetic sheet on the bottom. Voila!

    I love this size of palette. The mirror is fabulously large, and the palette can hold tons of powder products. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, too much work. I'm just going to get some MAC palettes, LOL.

      Delete
    2. HAA HAAAAAAAAA!
      It's not too much work! The MAC palettes are huge.
      ps I'm crafty, so I thought it was fun.

      Delete
  9. I looooooove these pictures! And I want those blushes, but can't really justify it to myself––the only blush shade I'm going to let myself buy is something lilac, so as much as I adore Feather and Parasol, I shall have to content myself with ogling through the screen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOOOH, LILAC! ME WANTS! lol Do you have something specific in mind?

      Delete
  10. I was considering this one for a while, but since I was only really interested in Feather and Parasol, I figured it would make more sense to just purchse 2 full-size blushes. These are gorgeous though and I'm sure they look lovely on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, wifey! Good choice on Feather and Parasol! :)

      Delete
  11. OH GOD I WANT!!! WHERE WILL I BE ABLE TO FIND ONE NOW? :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go to the Eaton Centre tomorrow during lunch and scour for you!

      Delete
    2. You are the bestest, ever. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Liz, I haven't tried Tarina, but I'm surprised seeing that she's leaving Sephora. I thought the line was fairly popular. This cheek palette looks like a great score; I think when it comes to colors nuances are important and this seems to get them right (i.e. you don't need a crazy purple blush mixed in!) Names like Feather and Carved Rose tickle my fancy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too! It's sad to get attached to a brand and not have it available at a convenient store like Sephora. I still miss Juice Beauty when it was there - and LORAC and By Terry. :( Larie would disagree with you about a crazy purple blush but this palette suits my purposes just fine. :)

      Delete
  13. The subtle shimmer in the shades is so pretty - I imagine your cheeks would have a hint of glowiness about them as well as the pretty flush. I'm "lucky" I can't get this palette easily or I'd be sorely tempted. I think I'll have to put $2 in the beauty bank tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I rarely need the glow since I glisten with sweat and oil all the time, lol, but thank you! I have a good feeling about this beauty bank of yours. The payoff is going to be sweet. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks girls! :))) I'm still on a roll *drops more coins into the bank* xo

      Delete
  14. Carved Rose and Parasol are my favourites, but I think I could get a lot of use out of all of these I think. Blush palettes are my very favourite thing, they get me excited more than any other beauty product I think. Wish we had TT down here in Australia, you just know I would talk Vita ^^^ into buying it ;p haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Twist twist twist that arm!

      I love that you're a fellow blush lover. We'll always justify our blush purchase for one another. ;D

      Delete
  15. Wawww... :D Beautiful packaging (a very nice thing in common with a large amount of makeup/cosmetic brands concerned in deliverying a fancy packaging of their products) and lovely palette. It truly seems to have a great quality. Cheers.
    Seelah. *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Seelah! Thanks for visiting. If you've been good this year, maybe Santa will send something special your way. ;) ;) ;)

      Delete
  16. :D Owww my CLAUS!!! I've been beyond good with myself, Liz, and proudly with others too, beyond good. There are really tuff times going on around my beloved country and continent, in general, but together we're still managing to put up some "magic", beautiful smiles and pleasant laughings to cheer up the journey ;). (...) Now, thanks to you, I'm dreaming already ...(sigh)... Seelah. *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's been a tough year for many people but I'm thankful for what we do have, and not just makeup. :)

      Delete
    2. "(...) I'm thankful for what we do have, and not just makeup." Mega great reason to give thanks to. Plus, I'm pretty sure that you're strongly occurent about our main purpose in this life.
      Enjoy the second half of your week. Kiss kiss. Buh-bye. *

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.