Saturday, October 27, 2012

October Pickups and Deliveries

It's not quite end of the month yet but we're nearly there, and I cannot possibly "pick up" anything more -- so here's the regularly scheduled Pickups & Delivery post a little bit early. :-)

Cheap Thrills

Annabelle Blush On #32 - I think that this is the shade called "Golden Bronze" on their website, but I can't be sure as there's only a shade number on the back of the pan. [Annabelle confirms #32 is actually called "Pronto."] In any case, these were on sale for $5.99 and I picked up three -- two to send as presents and one for me. Because of the darker lips and eyes I've been attempting lately, a low-key earthy neutral blush seemed like the thing to have. It's a lot like MAC Equilibrium in that it provides fantastic contouring rather than a flush, but it's all that's needed on a face that has a lot of other things going on and I freaking love it. Best cheap purchase ever!


Smashbox Blush "Layer" - Found in a clearance bin at Shoppers for $10. I'm powerless against blushes and nail polish on a good day. This shade sits rather interestingly between wine and copper, which totally doesn't show in this photo at all, but it looks like a "fall blush" and has great pigmentation, applies smoothly and basically makes me sing for joy.


Tarina Tarantino Jewel Shadow Palette "Lovely" - The brand is clearing out from Sephora and everything is marked down 40% in Canada. I've swatched TT shadows multiple times and was impressed with their buttery smooth textures and fault-proof pigmentation. I tend to wear a lot more eye makeup in fall/winter and realized I didn't have a black shadow, so the Lovely quad came home with me at CAD$23 rather than the regularly priced CAD$38. If you can, try to get your hands on one of these quads or the Dollskin Cheek Palette (which I have and love to death) while supplies last -- such a great bargain!



The #Fails

Tweezerman Studio Collection Steel Slant Tweezer - I've declared multiple times that I would never spend more than $20 on a tweezer. But the one I had for a thousand years went missing, my brows were monstrous because I hadn't touched them for like THREE MONTHS -- so I went to Sephora and madness took over like usual, and I decided to test the famous Tweezerman. And while it's pretty good, but it's still just a tweezer. Fortunately I found my old one again and happily returned the Tweezerman and got back my CAD$26.



Voluspa Burmese Rosewood Candle (CAD$22 CAD$18) - I needed new candles for the fall/winter season and wanted to avoid Bath & Body Works and their one bazillion cliched offerings. I love browsing the Lifestyle section at Indigo and of course Voluspa candles on sale meant I was going to indulge. And folks, this is why I don't shop online very much. I need to physically touch, taste or smell the product. Based on the description on the Indigo website, I was compelled to buy it... but sadly, I don't love it enough to perfume my room with it for two seasons. SAD FACE.


Soap and Paper Factory Patch NYC Fedora Candle (CAD$40 CAD$17.50) - Again from Indigo but no longer available on their website. Look, it's so cute! Unfortunately the combination of citrus, nutmeg, vetiver and patchouli didn't agree with me. I took a few sniffs and knew it had to go to someone who would appreciate it properly. It's now sitting in the home of a real New Yorker. And I'm kind of drooling over the Owl candle offered by the company on their adorable website. OWLS!


Nail Polish

Deborah Lippmann Naked - Reviewed here. Love!

a-England Lancelot - Reviewed here. Love!


OPI Skyfall Collection - From left to right: Tomorrow Never Dies, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, The World Is Not Enough, and Live and Let Die. I went to my favourite Trade Secrets at Yonge/Bloor and they were just unpacking the shipments and stocking the shelves. Because they weren't very organized at the time, I was able to scoop up two bottles for $12.99 and ended up getting four instead of two like planned. (OPI in Canada at regular price is $10-12 per bottle, so it was basically a BOGO situation.) The reds and golds didn't interest me at all, but these four shades are completely unique to my personal nail polish collection and I have no regrets. Check out swatches of the complete collection at Ommorphia Beauty Bar here and here.


THE SPLURGE

theBalm Nude 'tude (CAD$35) - I've been holding back from purchasing eye shadows and really felt a lack of cohesion and basic neutrals in my stash. Lately my eyes have been roaming from one beautiful (and expensive) palette after another, so I took the opportunity to satisfy a craving that I know wasn't going to go away and to be economical at the same time. Enter theBalm and their great affordable version of the Urban Decay Naked Palette. This was my latest purchase and I had a momentary sense of guilt over spending a bit more than I had intended to for the month. But honestly, this palette has been so handy and is such great quality that I haven't given the guilt any more room in my life.



Free Samples

Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara "Noir Midnight" - NEW HOLY GRAIL MASCARA. Except that it's CAD$33 which is out of my range for a product like mascara. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for samples. Although it's not waterproof, it doesn't smear or smudge from 9am-9pm and instantly provides intense black sooty coverage, volume and length. Oh, man. I want to go out and buy it already.

First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser - The brand finally made it to Canadian Sephoras and I'm excited to try out their products for the upcoming winter season.


Stila & Clarins Foundation Samples - I don't have a single liquid foundation that matches my skin right now. ON THE HUNT.


Primer Samples: Hourglass Veil Mineral (I ran out of my full size bottle), Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum (been meaning to test this forever!) and Laura Mercier Original Foundation Primer. I basically got these to help out at a low maintenance wedding last week and decided I'd use up the rest since the bridesmaids never wear makeup regularly.


True Religion Love Hope Denim EDP - From the True Religion (yes, the denim company) website: "That certain air about her, something you can't quite put your finger on but is incredibly irresistible. The essence of that aura gets bottled and is available to you in the Love Hope Denim women's fragrance. A wild concoction of fruity and floral notes are delicately sweetened with caramel and Madagascar vanilla for an alluring scent." The initial whiff just gave me a lot of alcohol, but the drydown is not bad, though the scent remains fairly generic. There's something nice and toasty anchoring the florals which I like.

Lise Watier Neiges EDT - From the Lise Watier website: "What makes an award-winning fragrance? Well, it should be fresh. Breezy. And deliciously alluring. Its light, sunny, exhilarating overtones should blend perfectly with its dark, sensuous, musky undertones. Oh yes, and it should definitely send out shivers of pure delight! Our award-winning Eau de Toilette Neiges perfectly captures the exquisite magic and purity of winter with a unique bouquet of white hyacinth, lily of the valley, Christmas rose, night-blooming jasmine, magnolia and orange blossom. Go ahead. Discover Neige Eau de Toilette Spray and put all the candles and the icing back on enticing!" That's a lot of words for a bland and passable white perfume. There's absolutely nothing dark or sensuous about Neiges. Like a lot of badly made EDTs are prone to do, it's also a flyaway scent that disappears in 10 minutes.


Loose Button Luxe Advent Calendar (PR Sample) - I was surprised to receive this since I was pretty clear that I wasn't going to be reviewing any more beauty boxes for a while, but it certainly makes for a welcome change from the usual monthly/quarterly boxes that are out there. Apparently this is sold out now despite going for a whopping CAD$99, but it's on par with the other sample boxes such as the ones Sephora provides. I'd still never pay that much for samples, but these are a combination of regular to generous sized high-end brands owned by L'Oreal including Shu Uemura, Armani, Lancome and YSL. Makes a fantastic and impressive looking gift. My mom grabbed the YSL eyeliner right away when I showed her this, and it's a really lovely intense black for those who like the blackest of black pencil liners. For detailed photos and list of what's in the box, check out the lovely Rae's review on theNotice. For more information on Loose Button and Luxe Box, see https://www.loosebutton.com/.


So, I've spent about $150 this month (gifts don't count) which is too much. 'Tis a dangerous season for makeup lovers. I'll definitely be working to shave it down again in future months, but it's nice to have full-time pay again and I couldn't help myself after a long period of painful scrimping. I don't regret having had a blog sale back in late spring, but I find myself missing some of the items that I parted with. There's a post brewing in my head about the nature of collecting, as a sort of part two of this post I wrote a long time ago.

Next month on Beauty Reductionista: November is going to be SAMPLE MONTH. It's time to plow through all the tiny bits and things that have been tucked away and either toss or give away or sell. I'm looking forward to starting January 2013 with a clean slate.

What did you pick up in October?

50 comments:

  1. "oooh oooh oooh!" x 5
    That was me as I quickly scrolled down on this post. (I'm supposed to be getting into my gym clothes.) Great pickups, every one of them!

    I was fortunate enough to get a Sephora Friends & Family code. Hopefully it will work in-store. Is there anything you'd like me to get for you? I can mail your choices to you.

    My pickups: Maybelline Color Show NP in Avante Green, Tarina Tarantino Neapolitan Lane blush, and a Paula's Choice skin care order (placed last night). Everything was on sale. Woo hoo! I also swapped for a new TT Dollskin Cheek Palette. I've since converted the case into a freestyle palette because it's the same size as my 2 other freestyle palettes (awesome!!) so it's like 5 times the pleasure. By the way, give me a shout if anyone wants my Candy Cameo (depotted, unused). I swatched it in store and it's too Cullen (tm: Tracy @BeautyReflections) for my taste.

    I will write a proper comment after I gym it up (yay me! first time in forever. I am a broken record) and after I fix my Halloween costume.

    Happy Saturday, Liz & Liz-fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that the F&F code was not applicable in Canada. :( Thanks, though, you're very thoughtful!

      How did you convert the palette? Magnetize it? It's waaaaay too much work for me but glad it worked out.

      And this comment was pretty proper, lol. Happy gymming!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to say I also got the Maybelline Color Tattoo in "Barely Beige", my first cream shadow! I must have had cream shadows on the mind ever since your post on Barely There Shadows, because I snapped that sucker up as soon as my eyes alit on the display.

      Delete
    3. How do you like it?? I hear the Color Tattoos are quite thick and set quickly.

      Delete
  2. ps Go Project Samples! You can do it, Liz!
    pps Luxe Advent Calendar: lucky lucky girl. My eyes are all agoogly over the mascara samples. I love mascara samples.
    ppps I like made up words like "agoogly" becuase it's like "eugoogly" or whatever Zoolander said instead of "eulogy".
    pppps I need to tear myself away from my phone as I am sounding increasingly like a mad woman. I think the two cups of tea I had this morning are making me CRAZZZZZZZZy-CAKEESSSSSSSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually never liked mascara samples because there was so little product in it that the brushes ended up coming out quite dry, but the Lancome Hypnose Star is AMAZING!

      YOU CRAY

      Delete
  3. I've tried a Lise Watier EDT before and had the same issue, after 10 minutes I couldn't find a trace on my skin. Not going to spend on something that doesn't last...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some hours after posting this (which is when I sprayed the two samples - one on each wrist), the True Religion is completely gone while the Lise Watier has a bit of a white musk lingering. Still, you have to dig your nose into the skin to get to it which is the same as not lasting.

      Delete
  4. your purchases look fun! I am loving thebalm nude tude... and you deserve some fun purchasing every once in a while! and yes, i agree, gifts don't count! :) Good luck with using up samples and getting that clean slate for 2013! I'm having the hardest time with samples, but i suppose i'm making a dent and that's better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! I don't mean to finish all the samples but at least test drive each of them, which is what the point of sampling is! I'm discovering some good products and will toss anything that doesn't work. The samples were free so what am I saving them for?

      Delete
  5. Ohhhhh love your pick ups! This month is definitely dangerous, I picked up a limited edition Smashbox makeup palette from Shoppers for absolutely no reason... I didn't need anymore shadows, blushes, eyeliners, or lipsticks and yet I threw money at it as soon as I saw it. It's definitely worth it, but still... haha. Love the palette from theBalm! I've never tried their shadows before but they seem like really good quality.

    And I HEAR YOU about the atrocious cost of tweezers. It makes absolutely no sense. I have to tweeze often (yay being an Arab girl) and I still can't find it in me to spend more than $20. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALSO! I work at Indigo and have worked for that company for the past year... IT'S SO DANGEROUS. If you need a hookup, I'm your girl :D

      Delete
    2. DUDE, you're my new best friend. I'm going to message you on Twitter so often now. ;D

      Which Smashbox palette did you get? I was drooling over them and now they're all gone. I was kind of out of love with Smashbox for a while but suddenly I fell all over again.

      Delete
    3. Muhahaha! Friends don't let friends spend the atrocious amount of money Indigo charges. I am infiltrating the system from the inside. Take that, Heather! (please keep me employed, Heather...)

      I got the Studio Pop Ultimate Palette... the biggest one D: I'm a fan of Smashbox now! This was my first product by them and I'm really loving it.

      Delete
    4. Ooooh, good call! It kind of keeps you from looking at other palettes, too, because now you have EVERYTHING. :D

      I'm a little bit proud of how Indigo managed to save itself by focusing on the Lifestyle items when book sales plummeted. Maybe Heather can hire me, too. lol

      Delete
  6. I've pretty much decided that I am not going to share all in one post all the things that I purchased this month. I would be depressed and never return to the world of beauty blogging, LOL.

    I love the Skyfall collection (from seeing Eugenia's swatches) but I probably won't pick up any of them. Oh wait. I have a 20% off Ulta coupon. MAYBE I WILL. Bwahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of being depressed about it but there was no point. :) I don't know how much you bought but stop teasing us and start writing!

      Skyfall is pretty stellar, which I had NOT counted on. I'm just going to close my eyes to all nail polishes until January now... likely not but here's hoping.

      Delete
  7. LOL maybe I've just been using crappy tweezers all my life then, because getting a pair of Tweezermans changed. my. life. I used to use the dullest, most uneven tweezers ever so I'm quite happy with my purchase. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept hearing people say that and had to try it. I think I'm used to the duller tweezers because it just felt SO RIGHT going back to it. (This sounds like a messed up codependent relationship, LOL)

      Delete
  8. Ohh I am swooning so hard over this post. Good on you for treating yourself, they seem to be all good purchases (candles perhaps not) and that is good :) I love mascara samples, I find they last forever for me (particularly the Lancome ones, they are always great to get) I wish I could get that Loose Button advent calender, adore the idea. The two blushes you bought are so lovely, very autumnal which, although we are heading into summer, I am wearing a lot of right now!

    This month I've bought a fair bit, ordered a Jemma Kidd iced gold radiance creme when I heard she's gone bust, and I visited the Estee Lauder staff store and bought some nice bits and pieces from past MAC collections. I also bought some great Physicians Formula eyeliners which I am excited to start using!

    I tried to do one of these posts for September but the list was far, far too long =S


    Holy long comment batman, I'm out :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, I <3 you!

      I wasn't into mascaras for a while because everything seemed to smudge, but I'm looking forward to testing these out. One of them is the famous Armani Eyes to Kill mascara (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

      Now I wanna see that giant post. Maybe just show us the items and not talk about the money you spent? ;)

      Delete
  9. I haven't seen the Balm near me, need to look harder. Nudes are always good stand by's for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're in the States, I hear they're often on discount at TJ Maxx!

      Delete
  10. *coos over your theBalm palette* This is probably one of the nicer neutral palettes I've seen since everyone exploded over Naked, with a good variety of day and night shades.
    And congratulations, you've created yet another must-have buy for me! The Annabelle blush looks like a good shade for me to dip my toe into contouring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *coos with you* I wasn't convinced for a while because the darker shades scared me and I didn't think I'd have any use for the super white shade, but now I'm all over the place and it's PERFECT.

      Sorry for the lemmings but at least it's affordable stuff! You'll like it, I promise. :D

      Delete
  11. Layer looks so pretty! I can imagine how lovely it would look on the cheeks. Looking forward to your Samples Month! Exciting. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! I'm kind of digging the no blush blush look with the Annabelle but will be switching gears soon. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Liz, I can't wait for sample month! I loved the idea of the Smashbox 'Layer' being between copper and wine. What a pretty thought! You've really got me wanting Lippman's Naked now too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dovey. :) I think Naked is so very you and would look lovely!

      Delete
  13. Yay! I like that you treated yourself this month. :) You deserve some beauty fun!
    I can't believe that Luxe box thing sold out. I got one too from the PR, but I would never ever in a million years pay that much for samples. Truthfully, I haven't even touched ONE of them yet. I'm starting to kind of hate samples. They sit there and I hardly use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. :) I was pretty impressed with the advent box and was going to feature it until I saw the price and just about fell over. But there are some good items in there so I'll talk about the individual products at least! Take them all on your trip to the US and use them up like you did in Europe! :)

      Delete
  14. I am at a place where I don't want to put any makeup on but have so, so much to review. Yet I still walk past beauty counters and think I need a brown copper red lipstick (this one is Larie's fault).

    And what is it about tweezers? I have about four of them and some more tucked away but I can't bear to throw any of them out. Even those I know I will never ever use again. I am an episode of hoarders, Liz :(

    Thank you again for the candle! I'm happy I have a piece of Liz in my home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I love seeing your tweets back and forth. :D

      I barely wore any makeup in the summer but now I can't wait to pile on as much as my face can take. You know, you're doing us a huge service whenever you put something on!

      And don't toss the tweezers - give them away to women's shelters or something. :)

      <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    2. What? Totally not my fa- okay, I accept full responsibility for this one :P

      Delete
  15. YAYYYYYYY HAAAAUUUULLL!!!!

    OMG, do you think it's too late to grab some of those Tarina Tarantino products?

    Also, I have to say that Tweezerman makes the best tweezers that I have ever used (I have four of them!). Granted, I got all of mine for 30% off because I used to work at SDM so it wasn't nearly as expensive, but still. Haven't found one that is better. Which one do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't know?? Shit, I could have grabbed a tonne of things for you. A lot of them are gone now but you might be able to get a few things. At the Eaton Centre, there were a few primers left and mostly some eyeliners and lipsticks. The shadows and blushes were empty. BUT I don't know if they had more in stock and didn't refill or what.

      I don't even know what mine is, it's SO OLD. But it works and I don't care!

      Delete
  16. Awesome, awesome, awesome! Although...you're not helping me hold out against the Nude 'tude palette at all my dear - I can see it is going to be the first purchase I make after I fill my beauty bank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Eeek, sorry and you're welcome? :D

      Honestly, I love that palette so much. I think you'll get a lot of use out of it!

      Delete
  17. Ooooooh...so many goodies! I almost don't know what to dig into first, lol! I've been resisting splurging on the Tarina Tarantino products currently on sale, but you're not making it easy on me - love the compact you chose. Also loving your OPI Skyfall selection, but then again (and with the exception of 'The Living Daylights' - as glitter's not really my thing), I personally don't feel you can go wrong with any of the shades. You already know how I feel on your DL & a-england pick-ups (LOVE). Even though I already own both UD Naked palettes, now you've got me thinking about the one you're showing here - thanks for that! As to the tweezers, I've been using Tweezerman for years and while I've tried a few less expensive brands, I always stick with these guys - they really do the job best, hands down & worth the expense AND avoiding ingrown hairs, a botched job, etc.
    That "advent calendar" is fabulous - glad it's sold out or I'd be tempted to pick one up, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think that I picked up things that were needed, though "needed" spans a wide definition, lol. The colour range in the Nude 'tude and the Nakeds aren't actually that similar - the Nakeds contain some blues which the 'tude doesn't, and the 'tude has a lot of pale shades that the Nakeds seem to be missing.

      There really isn't much of TT products to pick and choose from at this point, so I don't think you'd be missing out on too much, especially when there are so many fabulous holiday offerings to pick from. :)

      Delete
  18. The Annabelle Blushon # 32 is actually called "Pronto". "Golden Bronze" is # 51. It is wonderful to see that it is your best (ahem "most affordable") purchase ever! ;o)
    Thank you fur such a great mention.
    @Mtl_MissIPP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was corrected by the Annabelle tweeter and have updated the post since. Thanks!

      Delete
  19. I'm guessing you also saw that all other Essie/OPI colors were 2 for $10?! I DIEEEEEEEEEEDDDD. I went with the goal of buying some OPI for a gift exchange I'm in but.....I had to get something (okay, somethingSSS...) for myself, too.

    It doesn't help that the cosmetics place opened up a few doors down. I kept complaining I couldn't get NYX here but there is it...starring me right in the eyess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!! NO, I DIDN'T. :O

      I know this Trade Secrets is trying to keep up with THAT PLACE down the hall so they've lowered their prices, but then THAT PLACE raised their price and now Trade Secret is cheaper. I did not see any 2 for $10 deals when I went though. *sulks* Now I'm too scared to go in case I blow all of next month's money there. :(

      I keep looking at the NYX there too but feel too indecisive to ever actually pick up anything, lol.

      Delete
  20. Hey Liz, does the Annabelle bronzer in any way compare to the MAC Nude on Board bronzer? I think you started my lemming for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! :(

      The two are quite different. I haven't tried using the Annabelle as an all over bronzer - just to contour cheeks. MAC Nude on Board is much more yellower and acts to add a glow rather than to contour, because it's quite subtle. Annabelle leans closer to brown without being too dark. Of course, this is all just on my skin which is around NC25-35ish (I need to get my colours reassessed).

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Liz.

      I like the look of those polishes. I hope OPI releases them in a box of minis. I got the 4-pack Spiderman ones at a Beauty Supply store and the price and size were awesome. Also, minis are cute. Cute makes BooBooNinja happy.

      Delete
    3. There is a box of minis, but it only contains one or two of the shades I picked. The gold and a red is in it for sure!

      I also saw the Spiderman and Germany sets show up at Winners for around $12. But they're now also marked down in various salons for around $10. They are adorable but I'm trying not to get into buying sets now on top of regular sizes, lol.

      Delete
    4. I found the Spider-Man set for $8.50, which totally rocked. I don't collect NP, and have limited my NP stash to what can fit in an Air Canada toiletries bag. I think it can accomodate an additional one, maaaaaaybe two, set of minis. I have to be extra picky from here on out. :)

      Ps I emptied 2 regular sized products today! A complete surprise as both are in opaque, airless pumps. Woo hoo!

      Delete
    5. I kind of wish I had collected only mini size nail polishes but... TOO LATE NOW. lol

      Congrats on the 2 empties!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.