Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sample Month Day 22: Becca Resurfacing Primer

Sample Month is rapidly turning into "What Liz hauled in November" series, but nonetheless, you get a concise review on a new product out of it, so we're good, right? (How many frickin' commas did I use in that sentence???)

I ran out of my beloved Hourglass Veil Mineral and decided to be brave and try a new primer. Sephora was offering a pretty sweet gift with a purchase online, so I made my first online Sephora purchase at last. Reason for buying this? Becca is a brand that I never see in the stores, the Resurfacing Primer has decent reviews, and it costs CAD$48 instead of Hourglass's CAD$60.


The Claim: "This invisible primer creates an instant 'resurfacing effect' on the skin, visibly smoothing open pores and fine lines for a flawlessly even finish. Applied underneath foundation, the velvety-matt formulation helps to control shine and create a refined base for make-up that will last all day."


I find the 40 ml tube to be a good size. Definitely finishable (yep, that's a real word around here) and a good size for toting around also if you absolutely must. It's sealed under the cap for additional protection of product, which I always appreciate.

The product is a strange texture that feels immediately velvety and matte without feeling drying or overly silicon-y. I like this a lot better than all the other primers I've been testing out so far, with the exception of Hourglass products. It spreads nicely over skin without a problem, even over slightly dry areas.



I expected the primer to feel or look chalky on the skin but it doesn't. It creates a soft and smooth canvas for the foundation, and I've worn it under both the By Terry liquid foundation and the SilkyGirl BB Powder Foundation. It performs equally well under both, keeping the shine at bay from my nose for about 3-4 hours, which is pretty good for a mattifying primer. All others aside from Hourglass are shiny within an hour. I'm guessing that this should keep the normal skin types shine-free all day long!

It's a very decent primer and I like it a lot. I think it should be fine for me all throughout winter so long as I keep my skin properly balanced and not completely dehydrated. But it feels pretty gentle, so I'm not really worried that its performance will change with the weather/climate. However, I need to finish using it by spring/summer so that I can go back to Hourglass Veil Mineral.

Ingredients:

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Hydrogenated Didecene, Tribehenin, Titanium Dioxide, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Tropolone, Butylene Glycole, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Silica, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Disodium EDTA, Retinyl Pamitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Enantia Chlorantha Bark Extract, Oleanolic Acid.C1268

Purchased from Sephora online.

13 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try out Becca products since Lisa Eldridge uses their shimmering perfector quite a lot and I would consider buying anything Our Saviour Lisa uses... even if I don't need it/can't afford it haha. The new revamped Sephora at the Eaton Centre now carries Becca and I'm going there this afternoon with a friend to check it out! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you finally see those suckers at the Eaton Centre today? They're $50! Becca is expensive, man. Maybe we can split a bottle, hahaha!

      Delete
  2. I'm jealous that your new Sephora has Becca. What. :(

    I'm glad this is almost as good as your Hourglass! Hahaha. I don't have much experience with primers, but I hate a couple of ones that people rave about (Smashbox...something else that I forget right now), and I don't have oily skin, really, so I've just given up on the whole endeavor. I do want to try the Hourglass serum thing,though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSS! It's amazing! They have SO MUCH STUFF now.

      I'd love to just slap on and go, but my skin is so troublesome. You're lucky that way. And if you try the Hourglass serum, let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. Nice! I've tried a Becca Primer once. Not this one, but the one that's SPF 30 I think. I didn't care for it as it was so heavy and greasy in feeling. This one sounds a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that one. Was thinking that the SPF factor was missing here but most foundations come with a bit anyway. I want to say this will be okay on dry skin but I don't know!!

      Delete
  4. This sounds really promising! Maybe I'll use Becca's current sale to pick it up (along with Berry Twist, because vamp is so in). Though I don't really *need* another primer...UGH sales are stressful. But anyways. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a sale? o_O DANGER DANGER

      Lol, stressful. Indeed. After this one, I might try out a drugstore primer again alongside Hourglass. Still hoping to find a cheaper one to rely on because OUCH at the prices, man.

      Delete
  5. I keep haunting the Becca counter - actually - more like I'm circling the counter like a shark in ever smaller circles. I'm holding out until the holidays when I'll treat myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I have my eye on their Eye Tint in Pewter. It's just so gorgeous! Hope you do treat yourself because you are awesome. :)

      Delete
  6. Everyone has been writing about Becca products lately, likely because of it's availability on Sephora now, and it's killing me! I really really want to try the brand - I haven't heard one bad thing about it yet. Sounds like this is another winning product I'll have to add to my ever-growing list ~sigh~ I'm going to need to make a shitload more money just to afford all these wishlist items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sing songs* We have it at the Eaton Centre Sephora now..........!!!!!!! *jumpy clap dance of joy* :D

      But now that it's like right in front of me, I don't feel the need to try it all instantly. It's weird, right? Kind of like wanting the emotionally unavailable guy and coming to your senses when he does become available. LOL

      Delete
    2. lol, i know what you mean! if i was able to see it i probably wouldn't have freaked out quite as much to order everything lol!

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.