Friday, December 7, 2012

2012 Empties Part 9

ALL RIGHT, HERE WE GO. Second last empties post of 2012!


Just wondering: has anyone reading this ever finished a Chanel anything before? 

Bath & Body Works French Baguette 3-Wick Candles x 2 (reviewed here) - Will I ever shut up about these candles? No. Go get some! Because they're so soothing and easy on the nose, it's very possible to burn through two giant jars within 2.5 weeks. This is why I bought four more immediately.


St. Ives Mineral Clay Firming Masque - I've tried clay masks both high and low, and I don't think any of them has ever done anything for my skin. Mud masks are always recommended for oily skin, and while it always feels nice right after rinsing off, there are no long-term effects. I honestly think the nice feeling is the result of double cleanse at the sink (triple cleanse if your normal routine is to double cleanse - le sigh).

Garnier Fructis Anti-Dandruff Clean & Fresh 2-in-1 - Bought five for $0.99 each and have no complaints. Out of the cheap drugstore shampoos, I like Fructis in general, mostly because they go on sale often for $2.99. Their regular shampoos dry out my scalp like crazy during cold season though, and the anti-dandruff stuff are a little kinder. I'm testing out some PR samples right now and will report back on those later.


Sephora Collection Coconut Cream Body Butter (discontinued) - I had this one for a LONG time. I had bought this at the same time along with another body butter and regretted it after, but a strange thing happened. I grew to love it more and more as time went by. The scent was sickly sweet and not my usual sort of thing at all, but I got really attached to it and you can see how I scraped the jar clean. Sephora recently re-released new body products and I might have to try one of the body butters eventually.

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - YOU KNOW - holy grail primer. Will repurchase when I finish the Becca Resurfacing Primer.

Boscia Peppermint Blotting Linens - I make an annual trip to Sephora as soon as the newly designed Boscia Peppermint blotting sheets are released and stock up when they're half price. This year I somehow forgot and now they are freaking sold out. Yes, I can buy it online, but no, I'm not going to spend $75 to get free delivery. I also refuse to pay $12 for blotting sheets. My face looks like this right now.


LUSH Golden Wonder (reviewed here) - My favourite holiday bath bomb! I wanted to buy 10 but resisted. $7 is a lot for one bath and you can only stay in the water, say, an hour max. Considering that I could pay $10 to go to a spa and use their piping hot water for hours at a time, I've decided to reduce the number of bath bombs I purchase in the coming year. More spa relaxing times, less time spent scrubbing the tub! Tip for those using Golden Wonders though: throw it into the bath at the last minute. The bubbles disappear pretty quickly if the bomb dissolves too early.

LUSH Bubbleroons x 2 - I threw both of them into the same bath as the Golden Wonder because I didn't get enough foam in the end. The bubbleroons are from almost a year ago when Ashley sent them to me. LUSH products should be used as soon as possible, however. The bubbleroons had hardened and were less foamy than the last time I used them, back in August. It's hard to let go of these hoarding habits but lesson learned.

Shiseido Facial Cotton - Who knew one day we'd have holy grail cottons? But they're worth it. I'm using a cheaper package now as I like to rotate between the splurge and the cheap. And yes, Larie, I will investigate the Costco cotton packs eventually!


Boring stuff. Baby wipes, Balea wipes, Rexall cotton rounds. All previously featured, all regular purchases.


Samples! Links will take you to the reviews.


TOSSES
  • Revlon Colorburst Lip Gloss in Sienna Sparkles (Expired) - Swatched here. I used it only 10 times or so, but one day it smelled funky. Gross.
  • Boscia Oil-Free Daily Hydration (Expired)
  • Boscia Enlivening Amino-AG Eye Treatment (Expired)
  • Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple - You heard the story. No more lip butters for me until Revlon fixes this problem.
  • Physicians Formula Multi-Colored Pressed Powder in Beige - Not exactly expired but too old for comfort. Also not a match to my paler winter complexion.


Todays Total:
Jumbo - 1 (Rexall Baby Wipes)
Regular - 10
Travel/Samples - 11
Tossed - 6
(As usual, candles not counted.)

2012 Total:
Jumbo - 6
Regular - 81
Travel/Samples - 33
Tossed -16

By my old rule (1 jumbo = 2 regular; 5 travel/sample = 1 regular), I have used up 99.6 products in 2012. I have a few more old bottles and samples headed to the empties bag before the year ends, but it seems that my rough estimate of 100 products per year still stands. It is seriously insane how much stuff we plow through. Although there are many days when I want to throw aside this reductionista business and call it quits, seeing the end of a project journey has me inspired and pumped for more projects in the future. Perhaps I can work on reducing the amount of waste produced in 2014, since 2013 will be spent finishing up what I purchased in 2012 and 2011 (groan). For some reason I managed to accrue soap bars rather than shower gels this year, and already that is much less wasteful in terms of non-recyclable packaging and whatnot. We shall see.

39 comments:

  1. Go Liz!!! That's seriously impressive dedication.
    Oh and to answer your question, I've almost finished my Chanel loose powder...I've had it for just under two years though and use it daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl!

      Every time I see a loose powder, I wonder how anyone can finish it. YOU GO, CAROLINE. :D

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you, it is totally insane the amount of product we go through. I'm so glad to found another blogger that keeps track of empties. I have been keeping track of all my empties as well on my blog. It's a great way to control spending and a good indicator of what you need or don't need.

    check it out if you like: http://2sistersadecadeapart.blogspot.ca/2012/12/november-empties.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people post empties actually. :) Glad to hear you've joined the movement! For me, it's a good way of deciding what's worth repurchasing or not. And not being wasteful, because it makes me feel guilty and frivolous.

      Delete
  3. Well done girl!! Holy smokes...99.6 is a huge number. I love that you've taken such a meticulous approach to counting empties. I'll be rooting for you and this blog and hope that you won't ever abandon this great space ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, meticulous to the decimal point, lol. Thanks and I won't abandon it just yet. More like I'll evolve. :)

      Delete
  4. Whoa...awesome job and those are some amazing totals for 2012!! Maybe I'll try to keep track for 2013 - I have absolutely no idea how much product I go through in a year...not sure if that's good or bad? Ha ha :-)

    I've almost used up a Chanel Glossimer (should be in my next empties post)...but that's it!

    Those Shiseido Facial Cottons are my absolute HG!! I'm interested in trying the Chanel ones...someone posted a comparison chart on MakeupAlley once - it compared differences in not only price, but size, softness, tendency to shed, etc. the Chanel ones eeeked out the Shiseido by a hair but only because of size if I remember correctly. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do whatever feels right for you! No need to keep track if it doesn't matter to you personally. I just like to do it to assess whether something is going to warrant repurchasing or not and also because I don't like being wasteful. It's also a great way to do mini reviews of things I ignored for some reason or another.

      Unless I become filthy rich, I can't see myself going for Chanel cottons, but I can see how tempting that is!

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a great number of empties for the year! You are doing so well at the 'Reductionista' thing :) Congrats on that!!!
    I am becoming the same as you with the preference to soap bars! I have a few shower gels that I am using as hand washes just to finish (crazy I know :D)! I love soap bars and they are so easy to use. Right now I am loving TBS shea butter bars and chocomania (has exfoliating stuff on it!)
    And, I want Hourglass primer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are TOO KIND, Su! I have not been good at all but can't say I've been terrible either. The hauls kind of seem to cancel out the empties. ;)

      Sometimes I think that cheap hand washes and shower gels are virtually the same thing just under different packaging. I like the idea of nourishing bars that can be used head to toe.

      Try the Hourglass at your next opportunity! If your skin is dry, I recommend the No. 28 primer rather than the Veil Mineral. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so impressed by how many products you've finished. I lad mire the commitment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gaelle! It just takes a little determination and a peep at the end of a tube or container. ;)

      Delete
  7. I went back and read from the beginning of your blog over the past few days. I'm truly impressed by all the empties posts! Overall though, I have truly enjoyed the read. Your blog is inspiring me to think about my own beauty experiences and maybe start a blog of my own. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the highest compliment and I am honoured! Thank you so much. :)

      If you do start one, please let me know and I'll be sure to stop by for a visit!

      Delete
  8. Go go go Liz! I love the Shiseido cottons-I'd never use anything else now. Ever! THey never get fluff in your eye and who wants that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I still fall back on the cheap ones but NEVER the Life Brand crap from Shoppers! Rexall cheapies are far superior. I'd like to always use Shiseido too. :)

      Delete
  9. Good for tossing the expired stuff. And LOL, I don't have a personal attachment to the Costco cottons, they're just cheap and of decent quality (better than the drugstore stuff and cheaper still) so I use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if our Costco deals work out to be substantially cheaper, but I am reminded of this fact every time I post empties and it has to be investigated eventually.

      Delete
  10. Wooooot, empties! I still need to go sniff that candle dangit. And make an empties post. Time to get my crap together! >:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get it together already!

      Just kidding! December is a crazy month so don't pile any pressure on yourself. :)

      Delete
  11. Loved this! I don't know why, but I always enjoyed reading empties posts lol Anyway, about the Chanel...no, I've actually never finished anything from Chanel before, BUT I do have the perfume, and it's ALMOST done...if that counts LOL

    By the way, I truly love your blog! It's awesome! Now following ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfume TOTALLY counts!! I'm almost finished a bottle myself for the very first time EVER.

      Thanks so much, Huda!

      Delete
  12. Wowwwww, Liz, I am so impressed. I feel like I shouldn't even post my empties post, because even though it's 2 months' worth, it's, like, half this much. You inspired me to try the Shiseido cottons, and they are really, really nice. Though I'll definitely have to check out the Costco ones when I run out! And hurray for trashing expired/crappy stuff! No point in using things that suck. (That's my philosophy, anyways, which is why a good half of my "empties" post is really just "stuff that annoyed me so I threw it out".)

    And also, WOW at how many things you've gotten through this year! I bow before your magnificence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just post it! No comparing! :) I try to give products as many chances as possible before giving up on it. I'm still tossing out and culling stuff from a few years ago when I went haywire with makeup which prompted me to start this blog in the first place.

      I think Shiseido should just make a pillow out of their cottons, hahaha.

      Delete
  13. Hi Liz,

    I'm excited to see the return of Reductionista empties! I've been accumulating product in a similar sized bag for months now and it's barely getting full. I don't know how you do it! I photographed Golden Wonder today in a set and thought of you. (BTW it's enormous!!!) I typically toss in bath bombs after I've filled the tub like you recommended. I like to observe the mad fizzing and bubbling in action! $7 is pretty pricey though, as you mentioned and I don't buy bombs often. I try to stock up when the LUSH gifts go on sale the day after xmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do a lot of new product testing so I can imagine that sticking to a single regimen can be quite difficult! I'm mostly a creature of habit, so if I like something, it's not too difficult to finish. :)

      Yes, the GW is quite big compared to the other bombs! But twice as delightful. ;) I don't know if we have Boxing Day sales at LUSH but now I'll have to ask them! Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  14. Awesome empties Liz - your swathe of samples keeps on reminding me I need to do something about reducing my own! Maybe 2013 will be the big year of samples for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, HELLO?!? YOU ARE A MAGNIFICENT EMPTIER!!! MASTER LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I'm actually going to give you an honourable mention in my final empties post of 2012. Your lipstick graveyard is permanently seared in my long-term memory. ;D

      Delete
    2. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! You made my night by referring to the lipstick graveyard! xo

      Delete
  15. 99.6 products, LOL!!! While it's an odd number to be sure, it's still impressive what you managed to achieve! I never, EVER remember to hold on to my finished products, and something tells me that habit's not about to change anytime soon - I toss them into the recycling bin immediately upon completion as I hate having empty containers lying around - upsets the neat/control freak in me. You sure are an inspiration to many, however and kudos on reaching your goal!! *claps hands wildly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some day, I'll send you personally engraved "empties bag" LOL ;)

      Thanks and stay tuned because we're not done yet!!!!!!!

      Delete
  16. Adore your empties posts Liz, you are a master at tossing expired stuff, I need to get on board and throw some stuff too! I am so close to finishing up a blush and am on my way to finishing up my Chanel Boy rouge coco shine, I know I will be on a major high when that one bites the dust and the thought makes me smile whenever I use it. It isn't a shade I would repurchase, though it is nice.

    Inspiring, as always. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back and forth on the expired stuff for a long time, actually. Sometimes I change my mind and fish them out of the empties bag! :O They inevitably end up back in it months later so it's always a good plan to toss when anything seems fishy or strange.

      Chanel Boy always looks so lovely in reviews! It's amazing that you can finish it even though it's not repurchasable.

      Delete
  17. I totally agree about mud/clay masques - I never find that they have any long-term effects like keeping my skin less oily for a few days...in fact sometimes I think they may make them more oily! Perhaps they're just for clearing out the pores in general? Gimmick alert!

    I think moving forward I may make my empties posts much smaller (as mine are inordinately long because I'm too effing chatty), but I do think they help give you a goal and sometimes those old bottles that you might have left kicking around for ages, are actually given a second look and used up or tossed - and you have an audience waiting to see your efforts! 99.6 (LMAO) is awesome Liz, and as you know you've inspired others to take a good look at how much we accrue, so it's never in vain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also never believe stuff about clearing out pores either. Not that I'm an expert on skin care or anything, but I feel like pores are one of those things that are better left alone, ya know? No?

      I enjoy your chattiness of course but breaking them apart can be a good idea. I tried to but realized I'd never post anything otherwise, so the posts tend to be long. Cap is at 10-12 products though, because I don't want to lose anyone, LOL.

      Delete
  18. I've given up on masks. I never use them because I wash my face in the shower and I'm not going to get out of the shower and then put a mask on afterwards. FAR TOO LAZY FOR THAT. I have four Lush Fresh Face Masks sitting in my fridge, waiting to be tossed out...

    Have you smelled the new B&BW candles yet? I'm obsessed with London Calling; it smells EXACTLY like iced tea which I really seem to enjoy, apparently. They're on sale for 2 for $25 right now. I bought two today, one for myself and one for my Secret Santa at work, and used my 20% off coupon as well, so they were $22.60 after tax. :) Got another 30% off coupon for buying those, so GUESS WHO'S GONNA STOCK UP ON MORE? :D :D :D

    If there's any French Baguette left, I may buy one because you have gotten me mighty curious. Does it smell different when you burn it? I recall you saying that it smells a bit like popcorn when burning (or maybe your mom said that? Or your brother?) but is it like, buttery popcorn or sweet popcorn? :P

    I wonder how many empties I've accrued this year... I'll need to take count at the end of the month!

    YAAAAYYYYY EMPTIES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to do night showers and masks at night, just for that extra pampered feeling. But most masks are crap!!! I'm scared to try LUSH masks because I'd never use them quickly enough before they go bad. Don't want to store products in the fridge either!

      I'm disappointed about London Calling. It's more lemony than I like it to be, though it is nice. I'm trying not to buy anything for the rest of December so don't tell me things like that, LOL.

      Everyone from my mom to brother to sister said French Baguette smells like popcorn. It doesn't to me and none of the other bloggers have said so either. A few did say it smells differently once burned but it smells the same to me. One whiff of the jar and I knew it was love. It's a semi-sweet popcorn if you will accept such an answer. ;)

      Delete
  19. lol lol @ the first pic!
    chanel or not, i rarely finish anything!!
    i finish my toner occasionally but it doesn't count, right?
    there was one time i finished a chanel hydra base lipstick but back then i only owned 5 lipsticks so it was possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe :D The Chanel empties bag happened in January when I was starting 2012 on a fresh note. :DDD

      Toner totally counts! And god, do I ever miss the days of 5 lipsticks. Things are so complicated now, LOL.

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.