Thursday, December 13, 2012

Quickie Nail Polish Filler Post

I post this in case I don't get around to a new post until Saturday. Job #1 remains mind-numbingly boring where I spend most of my day watching the clock, but Job #2 is keeping me literally on my toes and on my feet all night. Therefore, my lunch hour visits to Sephora have become ever more precious.

I haven't had time to cut my nails much less polish them, so I took advantage of the giant new nail bar to explore some new shades. As usual, I was drawn to blues.

Illamasqua "Cameo" (CAD$18)

YSL "Bleu Majorelle" (CAD$31)

Both were applied without base coats or top coats, and frankly, I amazed even myself. I applied these suckers in five minutes flats, two coats each, and topped it with some Sephora/OPI drying drops. I received a compliment on them right away (yes, each hand different colour) and most people preferred Cameo over Bleu Majorelle, which I agree with. Cameo is a more unique periwinkle while Bleu Majorelle, stunning in its own right, is still a blue that looks a lot more dupable and familiar. Also: look at the chips on Bleu Majorelle. That happened on Day 1 and got worse by Day 3. Cameo by contrast is still in perfect shape without any tip wear. $18 polish vs. $31 is no contest in this case. Suck it, YSL.

(I didn't buy either of them as I seem to be going through a disturbing nail polish withdrawal phase. We shall monitor this new development in the coming weeks/months.)

18 comments:

  1. Cameo is mesmerizing! I like its periwinkle qualities ---- and the fact that the wear is better is great too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh wifey--we are just SO meant to be! I am OBSESSED with Cameo (though I haven't actually purchased it yet...) and all blue polishes, really. It's just the most gorgeous shade of cornflower blue (though it looks more cornflower in the bottle than it does on your fingers...but still gorgeous!). I NEED this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm getting Cameo....STAT!!! Wow, I loooove it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeppppp!!! We are so of the same mind, I just got it on Monday. I haven't had time to do my nails, you know with all the drama I have to deal with. I just popped on to see your latest post. I need to back track and look at the ones I've missed. I am so lacking. I will be responding to your email soon (trying for tomorrow, fingers crossed). I really hope that things are starting to get better with my family and I will have time to act like a person....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it sad that the only shopping I've gotten to do at all is online?

      Delete
  5. Cameo's the one for me!!! Such a watery blue :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cameo is definitely my favourite as well, such a lovely shade <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!! I laughed at "Suck it YSL" - yup...Cameo does look special...It's such a pretty shade of periwinkle...I don't really like sky blue/baby blue polishes...they remind me of my eight year old nieces who are starting to get addicted to nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5 Minutes flat? WOW!!! That must be some kind of record or something! I have both these shades and love them equally; while the Illamasqua formula is undeniably amazing, I must admit that I've had no issues with the YSL as well. In fact, apart from one YSL shade I picked up a few seasons ago, all of my YSL lacquers bear an excellent formula. Then again, polishes so very, very rarely chip on me (they seem to wear like iron on me, no matter whether I use a base/top coat or not) so I can't offer any explanation as to why this one chipped on you like that, other than to say that if your right hand which you applied it to, is your dominant hand, then that would explain the visible wear & tear a bit better. The steep price I can certainly do without, I agree with you there.

    You could just be a little tired, Liz...maybe that's why you're heading into another rut; then again, you could always blame it on the colder weather! I blame everything on that...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. Love Cameo. I hate the square caps, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they're both really pretty! Though the fact that Blue Majorelle chipped so quickly is really distressing...and I'm so impressed with your speedy painting skills––that's such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have one YSL polish and hate it! Takes forever to dry and smudges just when I think it does -__-
    I need Cameo in my collection though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOOOOOVE CAMEO!!! So glad I got that one. I haven't worn it yet but just looking at this photo makes me happy. :) Wore Noble and got TONS of compliments on it, even from my guy friends!

    I hate YSL polishes. So not worth the price. Ironically, MAC just came out with a nail polish that looks extremely similar to Bleu Majorelle called Blue Gaze that is PHENOMENAL (yes, you read that right). A one-coater and no chips after three days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Cameo - what a pretty blue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely in camp Cameo - looks awesome on you Liz! I'm also sort of on a nail polish hiatus, I've skipped over most Fall/Winter collections, but let's see what Spring brings about, shall we?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't like blue colour on nails much, but this Illamasqua varnish looks really nice. Would be awesome on toes in summer.

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.