Tuesday, February 19, 2013

NEW Lip Glosses from The Body Shop!

My sister and I are going through a bit of a Body Shop renaissance right now. Ever since I rediscovered their olde timey perfume oils last year, to my surprise, my perfume-hating sister has been dabbing on Dewberry and Fuzzy Peach almost every day. There's something comforting about those old scents. So when I heard that The Body Shop was launching a new line of EDTs, I excitedly asked to try the bottles in Shea and Moringa. I'm still in the middle of testing out the new scents, but as a prelude to that, I want to show you the new line of their lip glosses!


From the press room:

Say hello to luscious lips with The Body Shop Lip Glosses! We’ve got 11 super-glossy, mouth-watering shades to choose from, each with a succulent fruity flavour to lift your mood. Your lips are left moisturized smooth and kissably soft thanks to our new formula enriched with vitamins E and B5 and Community Fair Trade organic virgin coconut oil. Perfect for a dewy spring look! The Body Shop Lip Gloss collection ($10 each) is available in-store and online now.

These arrived on a dreary snow-covered day and instantly cheered me up. While I go through phases of wanting to move on from a well-loved brand from the past, something about The Body Shop always has me returning to it with a lot of nostalgia. I think it has to do with the fact that the brand is constantly evolving and coming out with new releases like these, keeping in rhythm with my own changes throughout the years.



It must be stated that while the juicy and vibrant shades look rather punchy, they are all incredibly sheer and become indiscernible on pigmented lips. I suggest choosing based on the scent and ingredients rather than the shade. As is usual with The Body Shop's offerings, the scents are strong, sweet and fruity. The scents of the lip glosses correlate to the existing line of body care (i.e. Mango Lip Gloss smells just like Mango Body Butter and Shower Gel.), which is always convenient in my opinion. I hate picking up matching products only to realize later that they smell differently.

L to R: Strawberry, Raspberry, Watermelon

L to R: Pink Grapefruit, Lychee, Plum

L to R: Cocoa, Mint, Coconut

L to R: Mango, Peach

As you can see from these swatches, the consistency for each gloss differs slightly, with Mint being the most fluid. My experience with these glosses is that they work well to keep the lips moisturized while imparting shine and uplifting scent. As a heavy coffee/tea drinker, no lip product stays on my lips for longer than a few hours at most. But it's easy to tote around one or five of these glosses and reapply without trouble as occasion warrants.


Regarding ingredients, I would suggest looking up the flavour you're most interested in on The Body Shop's website to determine what the specifics are. Below is the ingredient list for Lychee only. (Ingredients vary by product.)

Ingredients for Lychee: Polybutene (Binder), Ricinus Communis Seed Oil/Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil (Emollient), Dextrin Palmitate (Emulsifying Agent), Diisopropyl Dimer Dilinoleate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Passiflora Edulis Seed Oil (Emollient/Skin Conditioner), Passiflora Incarnata Seed Oil (Emollient/Skin Conditioning Agent), Cocos Nucifera Oil/Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (Emollient), Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (Emollient), Aroma/Flavor (Flavour), Cera Alba/Beeswax (Emulsifier/Emollient), Tocopheryl Acetate (Antioxidant), Panthenol (Skin Conditioning Agent), Benzyl Benzoate (Solvent), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Barium Sulfate (Opacifier), Talc (Absorbent/Bulking Agent), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide (Colorant), CI 15850/Red 7 Lake (Colorant), CI 77492/Iron Oxides (Color), CI 77491/Iron Oxides (Color), CI 77499/Iron Oxides (Color).

To be honest, I'm not a fan of super fruity and punchy sweet scents. However, this winter is just about killing me, and anything that reminds me of warmer seasons goes a long way to restoring good spirits and healthier outlook. I can't believe I'm saying this, but these lip glosses are doing that for me right now. My favourite is Strawberry so far.

What are your favourite scents or products from The Body Shop?

This post features products provided by company/PR for review purposes. This is not a paid/sponsored post. 

34 comments:

  1. The Body Shop skin care cured my oiliness completely! Blotting and powdering is for pleasure now and not a complete requirement every couple of hours :) The Vitamin E face cream is a real winner and the Nutriganics Line Smoothing Day Moisturizer doesn't make me oily. I recently tried the Honey and Oat mask too and adore it. Or course I love the shower gels and body butters too, but none of the fruity stuff. I'm all about the shea, cocoa, or nutty flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY?? I had good results with their Aloe stuff - the toner is my go-to. And I suspected the Vitamine E line is great as well though I haven't tried any yet.

      I also prefer the nutty scents as well, though sometimes I fall for the Lemon and Moringa, depending on the season. I wish they'd also expand the Rose scent from the hand cream to the rest of the line as well!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes! The Wild Rose, not the Moroccan Rose, because it legit smells like a REAL rose, IMHO.

      Delete
    3. They have two roses? I need to catch up on things over there.

      Delete
  2. I love the Body Shop. They use Fair Trade stuff and don't test on animals! The makeup is really good for a great price ($8 eyeshadow!). I love their Vitamin E face serum, and I just picked up a couple body butters. Their baked blush in Coral is one of my favorites too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried their makeup much but I love their Aloe and Vitamin E line. I think the reason I don't look at their makeup is because of the flimsy plastic packaging, but there are a few things I am curious about. Will check out the blush!

      Delete
  3. So I definitely do not need more lip gloss, but these look so moisturizing, I know I'd get get a good amt of practical use from them. I try to support The Body Shop, because of all the good the company does... even though I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of their body butters/lotions (they all seem so strongly scented). I haven't tried anything from their makeup line but it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Aloe, Vitamin E and less scented stuff. But I have a soft spot for the Shea and Moringa - sometimes Lemon. And I need to check out their shampoos at some point as well!

      Delete
  4. I think the Body Shop eyeshadow is amazing and I even collect their shimmer cubes - I can't get enough of them! I also love their pots of lip butters, and their body scrubs are generally a hit with me. My favourite range is their sweet lemon fragrance - it's also perfect if you need a reminder of summer in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played with their makeup too much but now I'm hearing good things! Will check them out soon. I also like the frequent BOGOs. Can't complain about the price!

      Delete
  5. You know I looooove The Body Shop! These actually remind me of the Glossy Lip Balm Tubes that Essence was selling some time ago - delectably scented, but very sheer. Just fun to tote around in your pocket really. I can't wait for TBS' version to launch down here cos they look good enough to eat! Great review Liz xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vita. :) It's so funny, I was just about to give up on lip gloss almost completely not too long ago. Then BAM.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Great review! I am a huuuuge body shop fan biut tend to stick to their skincare. I'm excited to see what other new things are coming from them. I would also love more in the rose line, and I really want to try their body oils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I do like their skin care a lot and am also curious about those oils. I think it's multifunctional, for hair and body and whatever else. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, that's a lot of glosses! I like warm smells like cocoa and chocolate the best. Just talking about this makes me hungry ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must like their Valentine's Chocomania stuff then. :) Lol, I like how all the bloggers are all about food as well. We'd get along splendidly. :)

      Delete
  8. I don't like fruity glosses :P They do look really moisturizing, though! I think I need a new gloss. When I finished my Dior gloss I realized just how much I liked using it for moisturizing, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I was all about gloss only in the past! I was almost out and then these guys sucked me back in. Oh well. :)

      Delete
  9. Oooh pretty pretty pretty! I wonder how these compare to Benefits Ultra Plush ones. They look very similar but at a fraction of the price...I dont shop TBS often--if ever--anymore, but I do hear good things from time to time and I am starting to get curious. Also, really wanting to take a sniff of those perfume oils now!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the Benefits much - but from random sampling on the counters, they're also really sheer. I think I'm starting to really polarize on beauty products, going either high end or sticking with price-friendly options, especially when it comes to sheer glosses. But to each her own!

      Were you an old school perfume oil fan, wifey?

      Delete
  10. that's a wonderful rainbow of glosses ;) TBS makeup line is quite decent ESP the eyeshadows!! altho it did vary by collections (can't go wrong with shimmer cubes texture)!

    whilst not being a great fan of the fruity scents they normally do, I use and love their white musk shower gel and perfume :D my bf n I r crazy abt this shower gel. the cocoa lip gloss looks gorgeous (subtle shimmer and MLBB nude!) though!!

    oh and I like their nutriganics drops of youth serum too, i think it works just like Lancôme genefique which helps skin to absorb the latter part of skincare regimen (serum n moisturizer, etc) better. in a way it's a pre-serum and makes skin feel wonderfully smooth and prepped!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing about the eye shadows. Curiouser and curiouser!

      I don't care for the White Musk line myself but my sister used to like it a lot. :) And yes, some of the shimmers in the lip glosses are quite nice!

      I haven't tried Lancome Genefique to compare, but I think TBS's skin care is generally pretty solid. I like the Aloe line best because it contains the highest content of natural ingredient (aloe, lol) with minimal amounts of other ingredients. I'm not a big serum user but might have to incorporate that into my routine soon!

      Delete
  11. Wow! These all really do look juicy...and sound even yummier, lol! Love your swatches as the shades shown each so perfectly relate to their given names. Personally, I don't really like fruit scents; I prefer muskier, amber, or vanilla scents in my products so I'd probably pass on most of these but I love how cute they look all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so darling all lined up, huh? :) I prefer my makeup less fruity too (lol) but they are working to lift me out of the horrid winter funk, so I can't fault them for that right now. Obviously, adolescents and teenagers with fruitier nose will adore this sort of thing.

      Delete
  12. These do look really hydrating! The shades in the first picture (Strawberry, Raspberry and Watermelon) look really pretty. I haven't tried anything from The Body Shop for ages, but have been quite tempted to try a few things from the makeup line recently. I read a review on their Smoky Copper Eye Palette a few weeks ago and the shades looked lovely, and are apparently nicely pigmented and apply brilliantly, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more into their skin care and bath products, but everyone keeps talking about the makeup! Must look into!

      Delete
  13. Haha, I'm also more of a lipstick girl recently, but every so often a gloss can lure me in - and I still have an equal amount of both in my stash, so by no means have I stopped wearing them completely! However, after buying that Benefit gloss set around Christmas, I'm pretty much good to go for a while. I'm not big on fruity lip scents either so I'd probably pass, but good on The Body Shop for being able to draw the consumer in with some fun new products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swore never to buy another set of lip glosses unless I love every single shade with a lot of passion, lol. Now look at all this. O___o While I'm with you on anti-fruity lippies in general, I make an exception for TBS and their nostalgia-inducing products. It's funny how some brands can retain that pull while others I can leave behind without a second look.

      Delete
  14. I'm happy these are making you happy, Liz :) I prefer my glosses more pigmented, but I LOVE the whole array of them all lined up––irresistibly cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. :) Anything that reminds me of summer time = win!

      Delete
  15. Ooooh, Strawberry, Watermelon, and Plum look promising! Worth paying full price for, you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry, missed this.

      Definitely worth it when TBS offers 50% off or BOGOs. Worth the full price if you really like the smells!

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.