Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Shower with Dove!

Until a couple of years ago, we used a lot of Dove in the house. My mother and sisters, sensible low maintenance creatures that they are (God bless them), would always rely on simple Dove soap and body wash for everyday cleansing. It was me who had to get all fancy and fill the house with other things. It has certainly been a while since I paid attention to Dove products.

Then the giant box of PR samples arrived last month, and I was happy to see that Dove was still turning out great products. The hair styling products were totally new to me, as was the scent of this shower gel. I gamely put them to the test for a few weeks and became rather impressed!


Dove Style + Care Nourishing Curls Mousse


My textured hair can always use some (a lot of) mousse. The easiest method of styling is to apply mousse throughout my damp hair after a wash and air dry the whole thing, sleep on it, and end up with tousled waves the next day with minimal frizz.

I like the sturdy feel of this mousse can which just stops short of being too big/heavy to shake (because you gotta shake-shake-shshshshake that mousse) -- and it distributes the right amount of product, depending on the pressure you apply to the dispenser. It's nice and foamy and smells pleasantly of fruits and flowers. But the part I'm really in love with is the whipped cream texture. It feels much more substantial than many of the other drugstore mousses I've used in the past. I honestly didn't expect much from a can of drugstore mousse, but this one left my hair feeling voluminous but controlled and shiny. I totally recommend it for all you wavy/curly-haired gals.

Ingredients: Aqua, Hydrofluorocarbon 152a, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dimethyl Ether, Parfum, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Behentrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Dipropylene Glycol, Lactic Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Amodimethicone, PEG-7 Propylheptyl Ether, Cetrimonium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone.

Dove Damage Solutions Color Care Leave On Conditioner


As you can see, this is a tiny bottle. The size of it is the only quibble I have with it however -- I definitely underestimated its powers! I know that this is bad for my hair, but it's really long now and I can't be bothered with styling it more than once or twice a week. More often than not, I'd shampoo and twist the whole thing up into a wet bun and let it sit like that all day long. To compensate for this cruel treatment, I added a leave-on conditioner to the routine to at least give it some nourishment.

Well, colour me surprised when upon untying the bun and letting it air dry at last, my hair dried soft and free of frizz. I have so much love for this tiny bottle! It's a product meant for colour protection, but I do think that it's just as beneficial to undyed hair that requires extra attention. Its scent is slightly more fruity than the mousse, but I hardly notice it once it's in the hair.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Fragrance (Parfum), Behentrimonium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Mineral Oil, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Petrolatum, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

Dove Go Fresh Restore Body Wash (Blue Fig & Orange Blossom Scent)


The first thing about this body wash I notice is the heady tropical floral scent. I have no idea what real blue fig and orange blossom smell like, but for a few short minutes, my shower is transformed to a tropical paradise and I'm lathering and singing under a waterfall instead of a leaky shower head. If you don't like scented bath products, you need to steer clear of this one. But I like anything that reminds me of something non-wintery, and this does the job of cleansing well without stripping the skin. 

Ingredients: Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoyl Glycinate, Sodium Chloride, Acrylates Copolymer, Glycerin, Fragrance, Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, PPG-9, Lauric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Etidronic Acid, Methylisothiazolinone, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Blue 1, Titanium Dioxide, Yellow 5.

I'm sure that these are widely available in most if not all drugstores across North America. It's nice to see a reliable drugstore staple expand to provide more reliable products in other arenas. I'm usually fuss-free when it comes to hair and body care and tend to look at drugstores more than fancy boutiques. Dove has won me back! Maybe I'll finally pick up a simple bar of soap and try a pared down routine for facial care as well.

Have you tried Dove products before? What was your last drugstore success?

Featured products were provided by PR/company for review purposes.

27 comments:

  1. I enjoy figs of any colour, and I like the scent of that shower gel. Sorry if this is TMI, but I just bought a Dove deodorant after having a bad reaction to my normal one. I really like it; it's moisturizing and non-irritating. Definitely a good drugstore pickup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you found one that works. :) I don't use deodorants and have no idea what's good or not!

      Delete
  2. I love figs so much, anything fig scented is immediately appealing to me.

    A 4oz bottle of conditioner is kind of laughable to me though; I would go through it in two weeks! Though a 4oz bottle of shampoo would probably last me several months, I use so little shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm new to figs! Also trying out a Laura Mercier Fig hand cream that a friend sent me. So far I think I like. :)

      I suppose it's small on the account that we don't frequently use leave-on conditioners, but I agree and think that they need to offer a standard size given that it costs the same as everything else in the range.

      Delete
  3. The mousse and leave in conditioner both sound great! I'm really liking the sound of the body wash scent as well actually. I've tried quite a lot of the Dove body washes, but I don't think I've spotted the blue fig one. Will have to keep an eye out for it when I next pop into Boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister used to go for the plaintest Dove body wash, but now I'm seeing that there's a Shea & Vanilla one that sounds quite nice. :)

      Delete
  4. haha I love this post title Liz!!

    I love Dove body wash :) they smell great! However the same scent in their shampoo somehow makes me nauseous whenever I smell it :X not sure why!

    the blue fig one sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      I haven't tried the shampoos, but if they smell similar to the hair products, I can see how it might be overwhelming for some people. It is quite fruity. :(

      Delete
  5. I tried their dry shampoo and the smell kind of made me sick. Some fruity weirdness with a cloying something under it...ugh. Seriously sick. And I've never been much for Dove because it makes my skin feel sort of clammy weird afterward - I guess that's the extra moisture, but it never feels like it sinks in for me. S. uses the Dove for Men body wash and stuff, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother uses the Dove for Men stuff, too. I think he likes that there's a streamlined product for face and body.

      I don't have the dry shampoo so don't know if it smells like these stuff, but I can see how it turns some people off. It's not my favourite smell but it's not nowhere near nauseating for me.

      Delete
  6. I love Dove-not sure why everybody hates the smell. Although, I haven't tried their shampoos is awhile now!
    I bought on of the bar soaps too to try on my face but have been too scared to use it haha. My sister-in-law SWEARS but the stuff and has been washing her face for YEARS with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever tried the shampoo and can't say!

      Using the unscented Dove bar completely cleared up my baby sister's face when she used to struggle with acne. But I've always been scared to go near it for some reason! I'm going through some cleanser samples right now instead of buying any, so I may resort to using the soap soon. Will let you know. ;)

      Delete
  7. Dove is one of those drugstore brands that I always go back to because their quality is always consistent and their stuff always does the job. Like, if I don't wanna splurge on fancier body products, I always go back to Dove -- their body wash is one of my fave drugstore products. The Blue Fig + Orange Blossom scent sounds lovely, I may have to pick up a bottle next time I'm at Wal-Mart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a toss up between Dove and Ivory for me, but Ivory doesn't do hair. I think that when I run out, I'll definitely buy the mousse and body wash for myself. But I'd get the body wash in a different scent to switch things up. :)

      Delete
  8. Dove is such a great drugstore brand--I always love their hair stuff :) I've seen that leave-in conditioner and have been curious but never really gave it too much thought. Now I think I will buy a bottle next time I'm at the drugstore!

    ooh, and is that Essie Mojito I see on your nails, my dear wifey?!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Mojito Madness! Good eye, wifey. :D

      I hope you like the leave-in conditioner! It just occurred to me that you don't talk about hair much. Do a post on your hair routine? Pretty please???

      Delete
  9. I have tried Dove products and I do like them. before but I just saw this hair treatment and will be trying it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like! I think they're pretty good and it's nice to save money on hair stuff. :)

      Delete
  10. I actually really like Dove products - the fact that I find them frequently on sale too, doesn't hurt! The description of the body wash sounds heavenly - I want to be transported to a waterfall scenario too (well, maybe a safe one....no standing on a ledge being pelted by tons of cascading water, thank you very much!). Need to check out that leave-in treatment too!

    PS: Love the new layout of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eugenia! Was trying to avoid the all-white background that 90% of bloggers seem to favour, but it really is the most cleanest.

      Lol @ dangerous waterfall scenario - I imagine that real waterfalls are actually quite painful to stand under! But it's all good in my imagination. :D

      Delete
  11. What a shame these products aren't available down here because - WE ARE A DOVE FAMILY!! We use the cleansing bar in the shower actually because we all have sensitive skin and I adore their silky body lotion in the giant tub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what's so weird? They discontinued the Dove skincare here which I know you guys still have over there. I don't understand why they won't just make everything available everywhere. :[

      Delete
    2. I don't understand that at all! Makes you wonder how they do their market research really!!

      Delete
  12. Dove bar soap is my go-to face cleanser whenever I forget to bring my actual face cleanser (which is not infrequent, in spite of being a not-inexperienced traveler, ha!), because it's gentle, effective, and doesn't break me out. Their other stuff contains ingredients I'm trying to avoid, but you make the hair mousse sound so appealing! I love thicker mousses (as does my hair, but I'm trying to stay away from silicones, sigh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had silicone-free hair product suggestions for you but I'm clueless in that arena. Silicones never bothered me and sometimes I even welcome it. ;<

      Good to hear about Dove soap not breaking you out! Now I will definitely try it. :)

      Delete
  13. Unfortunately, all Dove's products contain 'parfum' in the first handful of ingredients it seems, and I try to steer clear of that business as you know. But these sound wonderfully effective Liz so I'm pleased nonetheless that there are great budget options like this out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the scents are pretty strong and I don't blame you. The body wash has an unscented version though I think - and there's always the soap, lol. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Commenting is open to any registered user.

In order to reduce spam, comments containing self-promotional links and URLs will not be approved. Also, comments for posts older than 10 days are moderated and will not appear on the page until they have been approved.