Wednesday, September 25, 2013

John Frieda Frizz-Ease Serum

For someone with frizzy and textured hair, you'd think that I would have tried John Frieda Frizz-Ease Original Formula Hair Serum by now. For some reason I resisted its pull. It always looks so small and simple looking on the drugstore shelf, dwarfed by flashier packaged products that make all sorts of fancy claims. Despite experiencing a modicum of success with a few other John Frieda products, I had a strange bias against this tiny bottle of frizz zapper. And now, I'm here to say that I couldn't have been more wrong!


The product is dispensed through a clear plastic pump. No fumbly messy issues there. One or two pumps of product is/are enough to de-frizz my hair at its current length.


Thankfully, the result is something that's super easy to capture on camera. I have naturally wavy/curly hair that becomes puffier and curlier the shorter I cut it. My usual routine is to air-dry the hair after applying curl-defining products while wet, but the end result is that I always need a de-frizzer to smooth the whole thing by the time it's fully dried. Left is before Frizz-Ease is applied, right is after. Pretty decent, right?


The texture of the serum is quite thick, but it doesn't weigh the hair down or feel greasy. It can look too slick if over-applied, like any anti-frizz agents, but it's easy to control the amount distributed through hair and I love how shiny my hair looks even while maintaining its curly texture. I can't believe I lived all these years without it.

The ingredient list is chock-full of things that many people avoid but... I embrace this mixture with open arms. My hair loves this stuff. (Thank biology that hair doesn't get acne.)


Now, despite being called a "serum," Frizz-Ease doesn't work to hydrate or nourish the hair. It simply coats unruly strands into looking smoother. Split ends will have to be trimmed and heat-fried hair will have to be conditioned with something more nutritious. It's the same way I feel about MoroccanOil. They are simply styling agents -- awesome styling agents that I would repeatedly purchase for the sake of looking good.


Instructions on the box says to apply to soaking wet hair, which I actually have not tried. (Because when my hair is soaking wet, I prefer to use curl-enhancers instead.) I find that it works pretty well post-styling as the final touch-up. So I feel safe in also advising anyone to give Frizz-Ease a try despite its other instruction that it's for medium to coarse frizzy hair types. If you suffer from chronic frizz, it's well worth a try. It retails around CAD$11-15 but often goes on sale for CAD$6-10. The bottle is quite small, so if you use it every day, it can run out quickly -- but we frizzy types know that second day hair is the best day and shampooing every 2-4 days is not only good for our hair but great for saving on time and products. I couldn't be happier with this discovery. It's well on its way to becoming a repeat purchase and bathroom staple for me.

Featured product provided by John Frieda Canada (@JohnFriedaCA).

26 comments:

  1. The before and after is pretty definitive! I love your curls! Just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vita! Honestly, I'm blown away by how effective this tiny bottle is. :D

      Delete
  2. Hey Liz, whoaaa I love your hair! So pretty and curly! I've tried some products along this line and they work fine, but I don't make a habit of using them because they all seem to stop working after a while. Glad this one works well for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sunny! I have to have something like this at hand all the time or else my hair literally looks like a rat's nest. They all work to some degree or another but this is one of the best!

      Delete
  3. Hair with acne. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
    Also, I'm jealous you have naturally curly hair. Mine is dead straight >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine? LOL

      We always want what we can't have, because I'd rather have straight hair that I don't have to spend hours taming!

      Delete
  4. Your hair is stunning, so filled with jealousy right now. I think I have some of this, but am yet to try it. Need to see if it helps my crazy locks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma! Is your hair straight or does it have some texture to it? I'd go easy on this if you have fine hair, but it's really working out for me. :)

      Delete
  5. This looks nice! I tried this years ago and didn't like it but I didn't use it on air dry hair. I had a cut recently and like you it curls more, I just might give it a go for when I'm too lazy to blow dry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhh! To have such naturally wavy hair! You are so lucky!
    I think this frizz ease has been out for a long time. I recall seeing this at the drugstores at least since I was a student (long time ago). Wow, how it really smoothes your hair is pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for years that I was cursed or someone in the family tree was lying about our heritage, LOL. Thanks, Belly!

      This has been out forevaaaaaaaarrrrr. That's why I can't believe I waited so long to try it. Should never take anything for granted, gah.

      Delete
  7. You have beautiful hair, I love them Liz!
    I think I need this product in my life right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not very expensive so it's worth a test at the very least!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad this works for you! It doesn't work so well for me-I need to pump about half a bottle for it to work LOL. I think because I have grey hair, the texture is so coarse now. But I have found others that work well!
    And I put a serum on first, and then curl enhancers Liz on my soaking wet hair-you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really??? I am seeing a few more white hairs and they stand out so much because the texture is all wonky. LOL

      I think your hair is curlier than mine because if I apply serum first, it's just loose waves and no curls. I can work with that too but I want super puffy fat curls right now. :)

      Delete
  9. Your hair is fabulous. If you could have a little of my hair straightness and I could have a little of your bounce, we could both have perfect hair.

    Alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALAS INDEEDY! -___-

      Seriously, that would be soooooooo nice!

      Delete
  10. Whoa this is pretty awesome! My hair texture is similar to yours, but can you believe I have never tried JF? I always have wanted to but the commercials seemed too gimmicky and too good to be true. I'll have to try this out! I think I'd just use while my hair is wet though, I am the queen of laziness and tend to just shower, add some Moroccan oil and then go to bed to let it dry during sleep. I think I'll try this mixed with the Moroccan oil since I bet the JF doesn't smell all too nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YesKelly, I felt the same! (Lol, sorry couldn't resist) This doesn't smell bad actually. It's on the "fresh" side of the scale and quite faint. Doesn't compare to the heavenly scent of MO but it's all around pleasant. You won't even smell it on your hair after it's applied.

      Delete
  11. I used to love this stuff! It's no nourishing serum but dang did it make my hair frizzfree and shiny *_____*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd ask why you stopped using but I can guess that your attention just strayed elsewhere! Haha, it's good stuff.

      Delete
  12. i am lucky enough to never have to deal with frizzy hair but unfortunate enough to have a wave through my asian locks that always ends up flipping out awkwardly after a certain length (longest run on sentence award goes to me...) thankfully the bob cut i've had for a few years now solves all hair woes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Length does play a great part in how hair behaves! Sadly I'm super lazy and tend to grow mine for 1-2 years before thinking of cutting again.

      Delete
  13. I got a sample of this in a beauty box, and the result was...not good. It kind of glued my hairs together, which was not a good look at all (for me). I use their finishing crème sometimes, especially if I'm putting my hair up or flat-ironing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also really like their finishing creme - have the Brunette one. Did you try using just a tiny dab? I haven't tried using this on damp hair or prior to heat-styling.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.