Friday, November 29, 2013

Clarins Lipstick Comparisons and Potential Dupes

I still think everyone should take a second look at Clarins lipsticks, but maybe also take a look at the shades from your collection first so as to not bring home the dreaded dupes. I can't say that I found any true dupes from my stash, but some of the shades are quite similar. Having said that though, there's no duplicating formula. Every brand brings something different to the table.

Learn to identify your Clarins lipsticks!

There are only two distinctly Parisian red lipsticks in my collection. Someone like my sister would say these reds are exactly the same. But you -- you, my beauty obsessed fiends -- you know better. I have to admit that YSL Rouge Pur Couture Le Rouge is an excellent contender against Clarins Clarins Red. The YSL comes in a much more luxurious-looking square gold packaging and boasts an impressively smooth and lightweight formula. BUT the price of a YSL RPC is CAD$39. Clarins is CAD$27. Clarins Red also has a slightly more everyday wearable look about it in both shade and finish -- a certain je ne sais quoi.


Moving on: I was sure that Redwood and MAC's Creme In Your Coffee lipsick were near dupes, but nope -- not even close. Both fall into that extremely wearable medium shade category and are worth owning for you neutral lovers.


Is it just me or are there a lot of orange lipsticks out there now? They were kind of hard to find for a while. I really feared that Juicy Clementine and MAC Korean Candy really were dupes, but check out how different the finishes are. Korean Candy can be rather difficult to wear due to its super glossy nature, so I'm happy to report that Juicy Clementine works well as a true orange lipstick by comparison.


And I already compared Clarins Royal Plum to MAC Rebel, NARS Fast Ride and Hourglass Empress in my Sweater Weather post, but here it is again for good measure. On the lips, it looks like a slightly more opaque version of Fast Ride. Rebel and Empress are completely different beasts.


And this concludes a rather makeup-heavy week on the blog. I think next week is going to focus on cold weather comforts.

[Mini life and blog update: I spent a part of the morning purging some unwanteds, which means that there will be another blog sale soon(ish). There's still no full-time job in sight, and I have too many things that I don't wear for whatever reason. And because life can be so awesome, my super old desktop decided to finally croak, and now I'm also in the market for a new computer. (No desire to lineup in the cold for the crazy Black Friday deals though.) Current system for cranking out posts is to work off drafts pre-saved on Blogger and borrow sister's laptop when she's at work. Basically: just an FYI to say sorry if I'm slow to respond to emails, comments, questions, etc. Ugh.]

22 comments:

  1. thanks for the amazing swatches. :)
    again, the Clarins Red is a beaut!!
    i was stunned to see the MAC lipstick shade "Korean Candy", but what kind of korean candy would that be..? i can't think of any and my mom certainly wouldn't have let me eat anything colored that vibrant. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an Asian/Korean-oriented collection that contained a lot of pinks, peaches and oranges. There's another MAC lip shade that refers to Seoul -- forget what that one is. There was a reason for the colours though. Either it was in trend at the time or had to do with some designers.

      Delete
  2. So pretty! Are there seriously Black Friday sales in Canada now too? I'm pretty sure that wasn't happening 7 years ago when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Canadian retailers made a big stink about losing money to Americans whenever Black Friday rolled around. Now they do their own mediocre version of it. Anything not at least 40% off doesn't even catch my attention though. There are some freaking lame ass "sales" around.

      Delete
  3. Hey Liz, thanks for the comparison! Juicy Clementine seems like a really fun shade! I don't own that many orange lippies at all! So sorry to hear about your computer! I hope you'll get one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sunny! I bought a tablet online and am waiting for it to ship. Feeling nervous about it since it's so experimental (I plan on attaching it to a regular keyboard to use it for lengthy typing).

      Delete
  4. Great post, the comparisons are really helpful! I haven't tried any Clarins lipsticks, but I definitely want to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely worth a shot if you're looking for the hydrating sort. :)

      Delete
  5. wow . what a good range of colors to showcase from clarins. i think i like the clarins more than the ysl colorwise. it seems to lean more orange than the ysl or maybe its just the photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has a slight touch of orange too in this comparison, but you won't notice it in person or on your lips. It's a pretty red.

      Delete
  6. Wow, those are really good dupes :-) I don't own any of these here though >_< I will get my hands on Clarins makeup one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if you're good, Santa will send you something nice. ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh no...death of a computer is always terribly inconvenient. No normal interwebs access - I don't know how I'd survive! :p Especially since I spend, like, literally 90% of my waking up in front of a computer.

    These lipsticks that you swatched alongside potential dupes look really similar shade-wise. I think it just confirms that we have too many lipsticks LOL. But hey ... it's natural to be drawn to what we like over and over again :) I agree that orange lipsticks used to be relatively hard to find (I remember when I scouted MAC Melonade and a coral lippie was totally the new thing) but now they're absolutely everywhere and commonplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got A LOT of overdue tasks done while computerless, lol! I think it's nice to unplug sometimes but there is that initial sense of "OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING"

      True about too many lipsticks, haha! I thought that I was being so clever with the different shades but they're not SO different after all. Speaking of oranges, MAC also has a lipstick called Morange that I'd like to compare eventually. (As if I need to but I want to!)

      Delete
  8. Oh Redwood again! It's really really tempting!!! Hoping you find a good computer deal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Clarins' creamy textured lippies and own the shade called Nude Rose I believe from the Hydra Nude series!? Anyways I've stopped wearing lippies at all for a good while since getting the skin problems *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the Hydra Nudes are no longer but it looks similar to Rouge Eclats. So sorry to hear about skin problems -- that does not sound like fun! :<

      Delete
  10. Adore these comparisons - love the neutral lip of Redwood and Crème in your Coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma! The more swatches populate the internet, the better for us makeup lovers. ;D

      Delete
  11. Beautifully vibrant swatches! I'm so glad about the orange lip trend - I just love how that colour instantly livens up the face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks freaking amazing with a tan. Bronzer + orange lips!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.