Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Warm and Cozy Scents for Fall/Winter

Like most people, I like to burrow and hibernate during winter. There's nothing quite like being smothered in warm blankets with a mug of hot liquid in your hands while snow is falling and the world sleeps. Bonus if you smell nice.

Despite all efforts, I tend to go overboard with my loves and move to the rhythms of my desire until I end up with a slew of products pertaining to a single theme. Apparently I spent the better part of the year preparing to brace myself against the cold because... look at all this stuff.

Perfumes


Susanne Lang Cashmere - An old love that perseveres through long periods of neglect because I'm not always in the mood for warm spice. Described as "smoldering amber," I reserve Cashmere for the coldest of winter days when I need the extra comfort.

Hanae Mori Butterfly - Reviewed. Another old love that I fell back in love with recently. I'm rapidly spraying my way down to the bottom of the bottle and its warm, pseudo vanilla-y notes are making me yearn for pure vanilla perfume to join the party.

The Body Shop Shea* - Reviewed. It's my favouritest favourite scent from The Body Shop, followed closely by Brazil Nut. It's a warm nut that manages to be fresh and clean at the same time.

Prada Candy - It's sweet and caramelly on me, and there are days I love it and days I don't care for it. It's definitely a perfume best reserved for cold weather.

Body


L'Occitane 25% Shea Butter Ultra Rich Body Cream - Reviewed. My holy grail body moisturizer, now and forever more, amen.

St. Ives Creamy Vanilla Body Wash* - Reviewed. It's the kind of vanilla that makes you hungry. I have long abided by this rule: don't shower hungry.

Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar Body Lotion - I have a few die-hard favourites from BBW while hating all the rest of it. Warm Vanilla Sugar is one of the faves. It's totally artificial and cloying and over the top sweet, but goddamn, it's good stuff.

Hands & Lips


Softsoap Shea Butter Hand Soap - Continuing on with the year of thrift, I bought it just because it was the nicest smelling cheap soap I could find. For $2, your hands get to smell awesome and not be stripped dry. The little beads even melt and dissolve, so I don't have to worry about them ruining our oceans or whatever those other exfoliating bead crap do.

Bare English & Co. Vanilla Coconut Lip Balm - An impulse buy that turned out to be a total joy. I've been slathering it on my lips like a mad woman. It's not the greatest lip balm and actually doesn't last very long, but it smells wonderful and I do love the emollient texture of coconut oil upon initial contact. Already halfway down the tube, baby.

Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar Hand Sanitizer - Unscented sanitizers smell like a drunkard in the subway. Why not smell delicious?

NATIO Shea Butter Lip Balm - Technically not scented but a wonderful Australian lip balm that I love to moisturize with on nephew visitation days, to smother his tiny face with kisses. Thanks for sending it to me, Vita!

What are some of your favourite winter scents?

*Press Samples

37 comments:

  1. SO much Vanilla haha! I like vanilla SOME times, but most of the time I can find it rather cloying if it's all sweetened up like it is far too often. I do like foody scents in the winter though as long as they're not too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cloying in winter. But I always had a soft spot for vanilla. Shea is rapidly catching up though!

      Delete
  2. I've been reaching for Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire! Come Christmas Eve I'll most probably wear Dior J'adore L'Or, but it feels too formal for most days. I've been obsessed with new Caudalie hand creams as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have samples of both and should bust them out, thanks for the reminder! Not crazy about the Caudalie hand creams myself though which is odd since I love most Caudalie.

      Delete
  3. Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille - the best winter vanilla fragrance you will ever smell. Guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, your love for this is well known. ;) I haven't yet found a place here that sells Serge Lutens. Might have to see if I can get a sample somewhere.

      Delete
  4. I have a few fragrances that I'm tempted on getting from trying samples but for some reason this year I'm not much into anything. That L'Occitane cream sounds super nice I'm going to make a stop and try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you go L'Occitane Shea, you can never turn back! You have been warned. :)

      Delete
  5. My favorite winter time perfume is Dior Oud Ispahan. It makes me warm inside as if sitting by the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, that sounds lovely. Never tried that one - adding it to an ever growing list of things to try. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Have you ever tried Palmer's Cocoa Butter lip balm/swivel stick? It has a nice, mild cocoa scent with a slight vanilla tinge to it, and it feels really good on. I actually hate the scent in their hand cream/lotion format, but it's delicious on the lips. It's usually found in the "ethnic" section of Shopper's/Superstore, I think. The swivel stick is huge - I've been using mine for over a year, every single day, and I still have a good 2 inches left in the tube. Not so good for those of us who get satisfaction from finishing something. I suppose if you used it on other body parts as well, as it's marketed for, it would go faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to look for it because of your comment and it's fucking giant. O__O No, haven't tried and won't attempt because of the impossible-to-finish issue. But now I really want to sniff it, LOL.

      Delete
    2. There is a smaller (normal) lip balm with SPF, but it seems to be harder to find, and I haven't tried it to see if it smells as good.

      Delete
    3. I'm good on the lip balm front for now, but thanks! Going to try to empty at least two before picking up any more. :)

      Delete
  7. are the bodyshop mists/perfume things very long lasting? i never want to buy them b/c i think they won't last during the day or the scent won't have good enough sillage. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gawd, no, they have no lasting power at all. I kind of like it that way though because it's just a very very simple toilet spray. The scents aren't complicated to begin with and I like that they fade away instead of staying stubbornly on skin. You get what you pay for, basically.

      Delete
  8. I can't even remember what winter smells like... I've been enjoying Chanel Coco Mademoiselle though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if it suddenly snowed in Malaysia, what would you wear? :)

      Delete
    2. Seriously, if it suddenly snowed here, I'd be thinking Apocalypse. HAHAHAHA! AND, I'd be thinking more about boots because I'm obsessed with them even though I can't wear it here (DARNIT!) Still no perfume. Hahahaha! Well, when I was in Australia, I loved Dior J'adore in winter for some reason.

      Delete
    3. And I bet every time you sniff J'adore, it reminds you of Aussieland and winter. :)

      Delete
  9. GOD, I love Brazil nut. Warm fragrances are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of exploring different nutty scents now. Absolutely in love with TBS Brazil Nut at the moment! (Recent addition so didn't make the post in time.)

      Delete
  10. I generally associate heavier floral scents for winter in terms of perfume, like Stella McCartney's Stella. I've never been one for warm scents for perfumes because they tend to be too cloying for my liking. But I love TBS' Shea and Brazil Nut scents for body this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider Stella an all-year-round perfume despite the rose and amber. It always seemed like a sporty light rose to me. But I totally know your perfume preference now. Fresh is coming out with a new one and I feel like it'll be right up your alley. :)

      Delete
    2. Yesss, the new Fresh perfume is called Life! I haven't seen it in stores yet, but I'm hoping it's coming out soon. It's on their website right now but I refuse to pay for shipping so we'll see when/if it's at Sephora!!!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that one! I wonder what's taking so damn long.

      Delete
  11. Vanilla galore! I really like vanilla's scent so I definitely approve your selection :) My favorite winter scent is that of Lush's Let The Good Times Roll. It's a facial cleanser that smells of cookies or something equally yummy, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with all the LUSH offerings but that does sound delicious. :)

      Delete
  12. Have you seen Perfume Shrine's recent vanilla series? It's dangerous. My list is becoming very long. T_T

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww...I have the most lovely visions of you kissing your darling little nephew! I actually nearly teared up...

    I totally "blame" you for introducing me to warm vanilla sugar, lol - I will definitely buying some when I head to Hawaii next year (still have quite a few months to wait but I won't forget). And as for Prada Candy, I keep spraying that tester every darned time I'm instore. I'm looking for a good Christmas gift set I can "gift" to myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thank you again for the lovely things!

      Hawaii - exciting! I remember you talking about Hong Kong and that ended up coming around quite quickly. Soon you'll be drowning in Warm Vanilla Sugar.

      Delete
  14. Aaaaah this post made me laugh out loud several times ("don't shower hungry" is a fantastic motto). Cashmere sounds very interesting! I indulge in my warm woods and ambers this time of year––they help make up for the utter fridigity of the weather. Though they also tend to make me want to eat myself, which is really weird, but I consider it the mark of a "true love" perfume. I may be alone in that thinking...

    I have fond memories of Warm Vanilla Sugar, too, even though I tend to run in the opposite direction of anything cloyingly sweet. I haven't tried it in awhile, but I should pick up a hand sanitizer or two. Don't want to be smelling like an inebriated subway denizen, after all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't shower hungry is second important, right after don't SHOP hungry! :D

      You'd like SL Cashmere then. LuckyScent used to offer samples but I see that they don't carry SL anymore. I don't like spicy scents too much but this one sits just right on my skin!

      Delete
  15. Lol at don't shower hungry - goddam Liz u r too funny! I am loving loccitane's almond body moisturizer (forgot the exact name but the one that comes in a glass tub) - the sweet nutty scent is an absolute comfort during these groundhog new born days when a shower n slathering on body cream is precious me-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to crowd the post but L'Occitane Almond Oil is AMAAAAAZE. I bet those "me moments" are just lovely. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Please refrain from including self-promotional links and URLs - such comments will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.