Monday, April 21, 2014

Easy Easter Weekend Face

I think all of my makeup round-up posts have been about creating simple faces. They're easier to document and write about as well, but those are also the looks I favour 99% of the time. Natural and breezy. What's not to like?

It was a low-key Easter weekend for me, and while we had a family gathering, I was home the entire time and did most of the cooking, so I didn't feel like slathering on a tonne of products. I've also been makeup-free more often this year than I have been for all of my adult life, due to the fact that my adorable little nephew has sensitive skin and I like to be bare-faced and fragrance-free on the days we snuggle together. But I look pretty awful in so many of the pictures we took together that lately I've been attempting to look more presentable. This is the new quick routine that I've come up with.

* indicates press sample


VICHY ProEven BB Cream (Light/Medium)* - I've just started to test this out, along with another BB cream, and so far I like it although it's far from my usual base preference. The shade is paler than my current complexion but slowly adjusts to a more natural hue throughout the day, and the texture is thicker than I expected and applies better with fingers than with brushes. Coverage is on the light side but cancels out minor bits of redness and evens out the skin tone. Since it contains SPF 20, sometimes I skip separate sunscreen application, making this a nice option on lazy or busy days. I'm still experimenting and will present a full review in about a month or so after I've figured it all out.

MAC Pro Longwear Bronzing Powder (Nude On Board) (limited edition) - I raved about it last year and promptly stopped using it as soon as the weather got cold, but the fact remains that this is one of the best bronzers for a light complexion. It's idiot-proof and adds a lovely warm glow to the face without obnoxious shimmers or glitters. The only issue I've encountered with this is that it can't build up to a deeper tan, and I want to step up the bronze an extra level or two this summer. But for now, it works well on top of the VICHY BB Cream to add a bit of colour back into the face because the BB cream runs a bit pale.


BECCA Beach Tint (Watermelon) - Previously reviewed. Still in good shape and a breeze to work with, making it one of my faves to throw into a travel bag. I use it exclusively as blush because I find the formula drying on the lips.

Benefit Gimme Brow (Medium/Deep) - As much as I like my Anastasia Brow Wiz, it still requires more effort and dexterity than I'm capable of on certain undercaffeinated mornings. Arianne of The Glitter Geek suggested Gimme Brow to me months ago on Twitter, but I rejected it in favour of a darker and ashier pencil. Well, I was wrong to be so hasty, because this brow gel is a lifesaver. It grooms the unruly hairs as well as adding natural looking colour and volume. I look put together without looking like I've tried at all. The wand is slightly smaller than I'd like and I can't taper out the ends of the brows as precisely as I could with a pencil, but this is one of the best $20 I ever spent. (Regularly CAD$26; found at the Bloor/Avenue Winners a few weeks ago.)

Rimmel Colour Rush Long Lasting Intense Colour Balm (610 Sun-Kissed) - Seriously, beauty brands: do your customers a favour and shorten these ridiculous names. I picked up two of these balm stick things a few months ago and forgot to include them in the monthly round-up. (The other shade is 620 Lady Marmalade.) They're $5.99 each at Target and smell like creamy vanilla -- both good in my books. I've reached the end of my patience with every single brand coming out with chubby pencil lip products and charging anywhere from $3-$40 for them, so I think that these will be my last pencil balms for a long while. In terms of performance, easy to swipe on and leaves a light stain after rubbing off with tissue. Doesn't dehydrate lips nor does it nourishes. You get what you pay for, and they're easily collectible. (I shall resist...!)


And the obligatory swatches:


What are your go-to products for a speedy morning routine or laid back weekend look?

34 comments:

  1. quit liking the rimmel color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My basic face has changed lately as I've been trying some new things, namely trying to do some new (not too complicated) eye looks so I feel more put together at work. Problem is it takes so long!!! lol! anyway...that Becca in watermelon always looks so scrumptious in swatches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm instituting a simple eye for the summer and going to focus on perfecting liner and mascara applications. No shadows. It takes me forever, lol.

      BECCA Watermelon is a really good blush shade for me - very natural, although it looks dark in this swatch because I pumped out too much product. I think it'd suit your colouring as well!

      Delete
  3. I've had the same routine for a while. Hourglass primer, Nars tinted moisturizer, Nars concealer, Anastasia Brow Wiz on the brows and whatever blush I am feeling like wearing that day. Lately it's been the new MUFE HD Blush in 410 which is absolutely gorgeous and the best formula I've ever used! And then I finish everything off with the RMS Beauty "Un"Powder powder.
    I use the Brow Wiz daily (I've rekindled with it after probably two years of it sitting in my drawers) and I do love the look but I agree that it does take a bit of work! I never really looked into Gimme Brow, but now that you've mentioned it, I searched for reviews and... wow! I need this. I saw it at Winners the other day and should've just bought it, damn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't tried NARS base products and feel no desire to, even though so many people love them. I only have the regular powder blushes from MUFE but have been eying the new cream blushes. And now I must scope out the HD ones too... le sigh, LOL.

      I haven't touched my Brow Wiz since I brought home Gimme Brow. I suspect that Gimme Brow will become the new go-to and Brow Wiz for days when I need to make extra effort (which is like never these days, haha). I agree that you should have grabbed it from Winners, but it's worth paying the regular price for as well. I can definitely see myself repurchasing! (Hopefully it'll last a while and not dry up too quickly.)

      Delete
    2. I like my NARS base but I am not sure it's complete holy grail. It's at times too shiny for my liking, and too 'wet', but the shade is right and the coverage is good. I am going to shop for other bases in the coming months and see if there is something that could replace it.

      I think the new MUFE cream blushes actually are the new HD Blush, unless they also have a line of powder blushes coming out that I am not aware of. I don't want to be an enabler, but they're really, really great and you should deeeefinitely check them out! ;)

      I am going to do a quick run to Winners after work tonight, they might still have the Gimme Brow haha.

      Delete
    3. Maybe I'll sample test NARS TM in the winter. But right now I have enough bases to last me the next 3 years. @___@

      I think the new MUFE creams are called HD but there's an existing range of powder HD blushes as well - only 4 shades or so. I've swatched MUFE HDs but they seem to dry quickly and I'm into dewier finishes at the moment. I'll definitely be grabbing a few in the future though!

      Good luck at Winners!

      Delete
  4. What a pretty look! I hadn't heard of the Rimmel pencils (and yes, it seems like brands are in a never-ending competition to one-up each other in impossible-to-remember product names, because screw the consumers, I guess), but now I'm curious! You've also made me want to try Gimme Brow––I'll have to keep it in mind for the next Sephora order.

    Baby sensitive skin is the most compelling reason to forego makeup that I can think of. Aw, little babies! (I'm cooing that and tickling an imaginary baby, which I assume is something everyone does, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rimmels were a quiet release - I don't get why there was such a roar over the Apocalypse stuff and not even a whisper about the pencil balms. And yes! You need Gimme Brow, although I know you like the MUFE Aquas. It's great for those nice relaxing lazy days.

      I coo at my nephew's pictures every day, so I think it's perfectly normal. LOL

      Delete
  5. Hey Liz, haha my basic face is not that different from this! I do skip bronzer though. Now come to think of it, I have recently discovered Estee Lauder DayWear BB cream. The Light option is a bit lighter for me, so I add some bronzer to balance it out. I pretty much leave my eyes bare though. I hide them behind my big glasses anyways ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a heavy bronzer user but it's nice to have this one for the times when the base looks too light! I also left out the eyes because that's what I usually do, although I have been trying to make more effort with liners and mascaras as of late. :)

      Delete
  6. When I go for the basics Becca Watermelon is on my hitlist too - for a simple look I'll go for a beige or taupe wash on the lids with a berry lip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have included Benefit Birthday Suit again for that wash of colour on the lids, but I'm forgoing shadows this season. Focusing on complexion. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love the colour combo. I haven't been wearing much makeup lately though. I need to work myself to actually having the desire to beautify myself. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, you're at that stage. (Seriously, I looked horrid for those last few months just before I quit my job.) When you're feeling better, you'll want to paint face again. :)

      Delete
  8. WHAT no BLUSH? hahahaha I love the MAC Prolongwear bronzers too. I have the other shade and I've hit pan on it. That's rare for me, especially with a bronzer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blush is BECCA Beach Tint!

      I want a darker shade from the upcoming Alluring Aqua collection, if there's another Pro Longwear in there. :)

      Delete
  9. I tried to wear bronzer for a little bit but I was convinced I was doing it wrong, so then I stopped. I liked the warmth though. Should try it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like enjoying the paleness in winter but now parts of me are tanning while other parts are not. So, bronzer can be handy for that. I also think we have to figure out what sort of shade suit us best: red/brown/orange.

      Delete
  10. That brow gel looks really nice! I've never tried brow wax or gel before. I'm interested!
    I think I do a similar routine if I wear makeup, but there are certain products that does save time - like the L'Oreal single eyeshadow (aka the "house-elf") I recently mentioned. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried some in the past that overloaded the brow so I ignored this for a long time! If you have decent amount of brow hair, Gimme Brow is a lifesaver. :)

      Delete
  11. The Vichy looks quite luminous and pink-toned (not sure if that's just the picture) - almost thought it was a liquid highlighter for a second! The Rimmel is a colour that looks so very Liz (albeit a more 'wearable' version) ;) I don't think they have popped up in local stores but I'm tiring a bit of these jumbo crayons ... Lord knows I have way too many from Revlon alone. Nude on Board looks gorgeous and I do recall hearing so much about it when it was released as part of the sailor(?) collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks a bit pink as a heavy swatch but doesn't look like it once blended out on the face. I should check out the next shade up though, as I still think it's a bit on the pale side for me.

      Another two brands have just released LE lip crayons for the summer and I am officially tired of them. I do like the two from Revlon that I have though -- super convenient. It's just as well that the local counter seems to contain only messed up testers of the same 10 shades, which keeps me from purchasing more. :>

      Delete
  12. That's pretty much my everyday face right there except I just must have eyeliner and mascara otherwise people think I'm sick! I never wear anything on my eyebrows but this Gemme Brow I may consider since there are days where they pretty much make me go nuts due to "unrulyness". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leave out the eyes on lazy days but am making an effort to wear eyeliner and mascara more!

      If you don't want to add any colour to the brow but just keep them groomed, you can spray hairspray on a spoolie to brush them into place or use a clear mascara. :)

      Delete
  13. Basic face is CC cream, mascara, blush, lip balm. I think I have the same rimmel crayon and Love the watermelon shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our routine is quite similar aside from the mascara. :)

      Delete
  14. I agree that I'm kind of over all of these chubby lip pencils - enough already! Can't anyone think of original ideas anymore? Argh.

    That Becca Beach Tint - YAAAA I NEED IT SO MUCH! I wish I had that shade instead of Papaya, which is still a bit too orange-y for my skin. I can only get away with it when I'm quite tanned, and even then.... Watermelon is going on my wish list.
    As for laid-back beauty, I haven't been doing it much lately as I need to wear foundation every day to cover up my acne scarring (RAGE RAGE RAGE) and then I just seem to go whole hog with everything else too. I plan to let up the reins when I'm in Florida so that'll be a nice break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Papaya is a surprise - it looks super red but totally does turn orange on the skin. I think it probably looks stunning on you! I'm waiting for you to conquer all things orange with great triumph and fanfare. :D

      Don't even get me started on the acne scars. Sprouted fresh new spots this week and they're not going easily!

      Delete
  15. MAC Pro Longwear bronzers are amazing, I got Sun Dipped last year. I also picked up two of the Rimmel chubby sticks recently, but they are way to bright and "loud" for me.

    Becca tint looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bright and loud is the way to go for the summer though. ;D

      I wish all the Beach Tints came in a mini pack. No way I'd finish a regular size, pretty as they are!

      Delete

Join the discussion and thanks for your comment!

Please note that comments containing links will be deleted. Comments for posts older than 10 days will not appear on the page until they have been approved.